Sângeorgiu de Pădure (in Hungarian: Erdőszentgyörgy) is situated 37 km south-east of Târgu-Mureș, in the Târnava Mică valley, at an altitude of 340 m above see level. It was first mentioned in 1333 as ‘Sancto Georgio's’ in contemporary documents. In the middle of the 16th century, the most important holder was the Göncruszkai Kornis family . Councillor John Rhédey became the owner in 1627, when the settlement’s name was already the actual name ‘Sangherghiu de Padure’. On January 16, 1629, it was donated by Gábor Bethlen to John Rhédey and his wife, Margit Kornis. According to tradition, a reinforced abbey, church, and monastery were placed where the actual castle and its garden were settled. In 1569, the new building named Kornis Castle was built on the ruins of the former monastery. Here was born on September 1, 1812 Klaudia Rhédey, her later name being Countess of Hohenstein, known as the founder of the well-known British Windsor house dynasty.