Response surface methodology (RSM) was used for optimization of enset fermentation process. Two numerical (time and amount of starter culture) and one categorical variable (types of starter strain) was used for evaluation of sensory quality of kocho. The physicochemical properties, proximate composition and color of kocho product were also analyzed. It was found that the coefficient of determination (R2) of the response variables were greater than 80% described that high percentage of the variability was defined by the model. These findings revealed that fermentation time, amount of starter culture and types of starter strain affected the sensory attributes of kocho. The preferred sensory quality of kocho was produced using 2% L. plantarum as starter strain at 6 days of fermentation time.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Abegaz K. (2007). Isolation characterization and identification of lactic acid bacteria involved in traditional fermentation of borde an Ethiopian cereal beverage. African Journal of Biotechnology 6:1469–1478.
2. Ali A.A. Mustafa M.M. (2009). Use of starter cultures of lactic acid bacteria and yeasts in the preparation of Kisra a Sudanese fermented food. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 8: 1349– 1353.
3. Andeta A.F. Vandeweyer D. Woldesenbet F. Eshetu F. Hailemicael A. (2018). Fermentation of enset (Ensete ventricosum) in the Gamo Highlands of Ethiopia : Physicochemical and microbial community dynamics. Food Microbiology 73:342–350.
4. AOAC (2000). Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC 17th ed. AOAC International Washington DC U.S.A.
5. Ashenafi M. (2006). A review on the microbiology of indigenous fermented foods and beverages of Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Biology 5:189–245.
6. Bosha A. Lagibo A. Tana T. Mohammed W. Tesfaye B. Karlsson L.M. (2016). Nutritional and chemical properties of fermented food of wild and cultivated genotypes of enset (Ensete ventricosum). Food Research International 89:806–811.
7. Brandt A.S. Anita S. Clifton H. McCabe J.T. Endale T. Mulugeta D. Gizachew W. Gebre Y. Masayoshi S. Shiferaw T. (1997). The “ Tree Against Hunger “ Enset-Based Agricultural Systems in Ethiopia. American Association for the Advancement of Science Washington DC.
8. Chen H. Donglin M.A. Li Y. Liu Y. Wang Y. (2016). Optimization the process of microencapsulation of bifidobacteriumbifidum bb01 by box-behnken design. Acta Universitatis Cibiniensis SeriesE: Food Technology 20: 17-28.
9. Colmenero F.J. Barreto G. Mota N. Carballo J.(1995). Influence of protein and fat content and cooking temperature on texture and sensory evaluation of Bologna sausage. Lebensm-Wiss. U.-Technology 28:481–487.
10. CSA (2017). Central statistical agency agricultural sample survey.Report on area and Production of Major Crops (Private peasant holding Meher season). Addis Ababa.
11. Deshpande R.P. Chinnan M.S. Mcwatters K.H. (2008). Optimization of a chocolate-flavored peanut – soy beverage using response surface methodology (RSM) as applied to consumer acceptability data. LWT 41:1485–1492.
12. EdwardV.A. Huch M. Dortu C. Thonart P. Egounlety M. Holzapfel W.H. Franz C.M.A.P.(2010). Biomass production and small-scale testing of freeze-dried lactic acid bacteria starter strains for cassava fermentations. Food Control 22:389-395.
13. Ei-Gendy N.S. Madian H.R. Abu Amr S.S. (2013). Design and optimization of a process for sugarcane molasses fermentation by Saccharomyces cerevisiae using response surface methodology. International Journal of Microbiology 2013: 1-9
14. Einstein M. A. (1991). Descriptive techniques and their hybridization. Sensory Science Theory and Applications in Foods 317–338.
15. Gallagher E. O’Brien C.M. Scannell A.G.M. Arendt E.K.(2003). Use of response surface methodology to produce functional short dough biscuits. Journal of Food Engineering 56:269–271.
16. Gan H.E. Karim R. Muhammad S.K.S. Bakar J.A. Hashim D.M. Rahman R.A.(2007). Optimization of the basic formulation of a traditional baked cassava cake using response surface methodology. LWT 40:611–618.
18. Hunduma T. Ashenafi M. (2011). Effect of altitude on microbial succession during traditional enset (Ensete Ventricosum) fermentation. International Journal of Food Nutrition and Public Health 4: 39–51.
19. Karssa T.H. Ali K.A. Gobena E.N. (2014). The microbiology of kocho : An Ethiopian traditionally fermented food from enset (Ensete ventricosum). International Journal of Life Science 8: 7–13.
20. Li Y. Shu G. Li Y. Liu Y. Song Y.(2018). Optimization of prebiotics and oxygen scavengers for bifidobacterium bifidum bb01 microcapsules by response surface methodology. Acta Universitatis Cibiniensis SeriesE: Food Technology 22: 3-12.
21. Lim S. Tingirikari J.M.R. Seo J.S. Li L. Shim S. Seo J. Han N. (2018). Isolation of lactic acid bacteria starters from Jeungpyun for sourdough fermentation. Food Science and Biotechnology 27:73-78.
23. Nurfeta A. Tsegaye M. Abebe A. (2012). Effects of substituting maize with kocho on intake digestibility nitrogen utilization and body weight gain in sheep fed a basal diet of Rhodes grass hay. Ethiopian Journal of Applied Technology 3: 13–24.
24. Olango T.M. Tesfaye B. Catellani M. Pè ME. (2014). Indigenous knowledge use and on-farm management of enset (Ensete ventricosum (Welw.) Cheesman) diversity in Wolaita Southern Ethiopia. Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine 10: 1–18.
25. Oyedeji O. Ogunbanwo S.T. Onilude A.A. (2013). Predominant lactic acid bacteria involved in the traditional fermentation of Fufu and Ogi Two Nigerian fermented food products. Food and Nutrition Science 4: 40–46.
26. Stone H. Sidel J.L. (1985). Sensory evaluation practices (2nd ed.). San Diego: Academic Press.
27. Teamir M. Shimelish A. Ramaswamy H.S. Workneh T.S. (2018). Effect of feed components on quality parameters of wheat – tef – sesame – tomato based extruded products. Journal of Food Science and Technology 55: 2649-2660.
28. Thakur S. Saxena D.C. (2000). Formulation of extruded snack food (Gum based cereal pulse blend): Optimization of ingredients levels using response surface methodology. Lebensm.-Wiss.u.-Technology 33:354–361.
29. Tsegaye A. Struik P. C. (2000). Influence of repetitive transplanting and leaf pruning on dry matter and food production of enset (Ensete ventricosum Welw. (Cheesman)). Field Crops Research 68: 61–74.
30. Tsegaye A. Struik P.C. (2001). Enset (Ensete ventricosum (Welw.) Cheesman) kocho yield under different crop establishment methods as compared to yields of other carbohydrate-rich food crops. NJAS - Wageningen Journal of Life Science 49:81–94.
31. Vatansever S. Vegi A. Garden-robinson J. Iii C.A. H. (2017). The effect of fermentation on the Physicochemical characteristics of dry-salted vegetables. Journal of Food Research 6: 32–40.
32. Yaakob H. Ahmed N.R. Daud S.K. Malek R.A. (2012). Optimization of Ingredient and Processing Levels for the Production of Coconut Yogurt Using Response Surface Methodology. Food Science and Biotechnology 21:933-940.
33. Yirmaga M.T.(2013). Nutrition and Food Improving the Indigenous Processing of Kocho an Ethiopian Traditional Fermented Food. Nutrition and Food Sciences 3:1–6.
34. Zerihun T. Brihanu G. (2015). Community indigenous knowledge on traditional fermented enset product preparation and utilization practice in Gedeo zone. Journal of Biodiversity and Ecological Sciences 5:1-19.