The aim of this study was to evaluate the in vivo efficiency of endodontic treatment with calcium hydroxide in chronic apical periodontitis by determining the microbial load from the endodontic space in different stages of treatment. The microbiological determinations that have been made have led to the conclusion that calcium hydroxide possesses a redoubltable antimicrobial activity, but only with the condition of long-lasting contact with the root canals. Another important result is the essential role of the rigorous biomechanical treatment of the root canals, intracanal medication with calcium hydroxide is addresses mostly to microorganisms located in root canal ramifications.
3. Gheorghiu I.M, Mitran L, Mironiuc-Cureu M, Mitran M. Sinuzita de cauza odontogena. Partea I. Etiopatogenia sinuzitei maxilare odontogene consecutive leziunilor osteitice periapicale. ORL.ro, nr.16(3), 2012, 8-11.
4. I Suciu, B Dimitriu, P Perlea, I.M Gheorghiu. Tendinţe actuale ale utilizării hidroxidului de calciu în endodonţie. Editura Universitara Carol Davila, 2016.
5. Dutta B, S Dhull K, Das D, Samir PV, K Verma R, Singh N. Evaluation of Antimicrobial Efficacy of various Intracanal Medicaments in Primary Teeth: An in vivo Study. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2017 Jul-Sep;10(3):267-271.
6. Zerella JA, Fouad AF, Spangberg LS. Effectiveness of a calcium hydroxide and chlorhexidinedigluconate mixture as disinfectant during retreatment of failed endodontic cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2005;100:756–61.
7. I.M. Gheorghiu. Microbiologia cariei dentare si a spatiului endodontic. Editura Universitara Carol Davila, 2013.
8. Lakhani AA, Sekhar KS, Gupta P, Tejolatha B, Gupta A, Kashyap S, Desai V, Farista S. Efficacy of Triple Antibiotic Paste, Moxifloxacin, Calcium Hydroxide And 2% Chlorhexidine Gel In Elimination of E. Faecalis: An In vitro Study. J Clin Diagn Res. 2017 Jan;11(1):ZC06-ZC09.
9. Sinha N, Patil S, Dodwad PK, Patil AC, Singh B. Evaluation of antimicrobial efficacy of calcium hydroxide paste, chlorhexidine gel, and a combination of both as intracanal medicament: An in vivo comparative study. J Conserv Dent. 2013 Jan;16(1):65-70.
10. Chenicheri S, R U, Ramachandran R, Thomas V, Wood A. Insight into Oral Biofilm: Primary, Secondary and Residual Caries and Phyto-Challenged Solutions. Open Dent J. 2017 Jun 30;11:312-333.
11. Ercan E, Dalli M, Duülgergil CT, Yaman F. Effect of intracanal medication with calcium hydroxide and 1% chlorhexidine in endodontic retreatment cases with periapical lesions: an in vivo study. J Formos Med Assoc. 2007 Mar;106(3):217-24.