The purpose of the study is to compare the outcomes of surgical interventions for acute appendicitis with the values of the Alvarado score. We conducted the study on 572 patients that underwent surgical interventions for acute appendicitis. Retrospectively, based on the medical records, we calculated the MANTRELS score and compared the outcomes of the intervention with the values of the applied score. Almost one third of the patients with a MANTRELS score lower than 6 had negative appendectomies. These patients represent 60% of the total cases of negative appendectomies, while in the case of patients with a high score around 2% had negative appendectomies. We concluded that using this scoring system to assess the need of immediate surgical intervention is important and can increase the rate of positive diagnosis mainly by limiting the number of unnecessary interventions.
1. McKay, R. & Shepherd, J. (2007). The use of the clinical scoring system by Alvarado in the decision to perform computed tomography for acute appendicitis in the ED. Am J Emerg Med, 25(5), 489-493. doi:
2. Cobben, L., Groot, I., Kingma, L., Coerkamp, E., Puylaert, J. & Blickman, J. (2009). A simple MRI protocol in patients with clinically suspected appendicitis: results in 138 patients and effect on outcome of appendectomy. Eur Radiol, 19(5), 1175-1183. doi:
3. Tzanakis, N.E., Efstathiou, S.P., Danulidis, K., Rallis, G.E., Tsioulos, D.I., Chatzivasiliou, A., Peros, G. & Nikiteas, N.I. (2005). A new approach to accurate diagnosis of acute appendicitis. World J Surg, 29(9), 1151-1156, discussion 1157. doi:
6. Bond, G.R., Tully, S.B., Chan, L.S. & Bradley, R.L. (1990). Use of the MANTRELS score in childhood appendicitis: a prospective study of 187 children with abdominal pain. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 19(9), 1014-1018. doi:
7. Escriba, A., Gamell, A.M., Fernandez, Y., Quintilla, J.M. & Cubells, C.L. (2011). Prospective validation of two systems of classification for the diagnosis of acute appendicitis. Pediatr Emerg Care, 27(3), 165-169. doi:
8. Dado, G., Anania, G., Baccarani, U., Marcotti, E., Donini, A., Risaliti, A., Pasqualucci, A. & Bresadola, F. (2000). Application of a clinical score for the diagnosis of acute appendicitis in childhood: a retrospective analysis of 197 patients. J Pediatr Surg, 35(9), 1320-1322. doi:
9. Macklin, C.P., Radcliffe, G.S., Merei, J.M. & Stringer, M.D. (1997). A prospective evaluation of the modified Alvarado score for acute appendicitis in children. Ann R Coll Surg Engl, 79(3), 203-205.
10. Hsiao, K.H., Lin, L.H. & Chen, D.F. (2005). Application of the MANTRELS scoring system in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis in children. Acta Paediatr Taiwan, 46(3), 128-131.
11. Schneider, C., Kharbanda, A. & Bachur, R. (2007). Evaluating appendicitis scoring systems using a prospective pediatric cohort. Ann Emerg Med, 49(6), 778-784, 784.e771. doi: