During daily practice, we find various situations in which the 1/1 correspondence between panoramic x-ray (OPG) and reality seems not to be respected. In the studied literature, there are articles on this subject, but our study was made based on cases in a highly frequented dental imaging clinic in Bucharest. The study was carried out on a number of 24 patients selected from the radiology department. Using Romexis Viewer software, with soft’s specific feature, measurements have been made (in approximately horizontal and approximately vertical axis) in three different areas: anterior, bicuspid and molar. Various results have been obtained, depending on the studied area. CBCT measured length of anterior teeth was higher than that measured on OPG, in the majority of cases. Molar width (mesio-distal distance) parameter variation was very small between OPG and CBCT.
1. Hernandez, Y., Tarazona, B., Zamora, N., Cibrian, R., Gandia, J.L. & Paredes, V. (2015). Comparative study of reproducibility and accuracy in measuring mesiodistal tooth sizes using three different methods: 2D digital, 3D CBCT, and 3D CBCT segmented. Oral Radiology. 31(3), 165-172. doi: 10.1007/s11282-015-0204-x
2. Brullmann, D. & Schulze, R.K. (2015). Spatial resolution in CBCT machines for dental/maxillofacial applications-what do we know today? Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 44(1), 20140204. doi: 10.1259/dmfr.20140204
3. Ghaeminia, H., Meijer, G.J., Soehardi, A., Borstlap, W.A., Mulder, J., Vlijmen, O.J., Berge, S.J. & Maal, T.J. (2011). The use of cone beam CT for the removal of wisdom teeth changes the surgical approach compared with panoramic radiography: a pilot study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 40(8), 834-839. doi: 10.1016/j.ijom.2011.02.032
4. Horner, K., Islam, M., Flygare, L., Tsiklakis, K. & Whaites, E. (2009). Basic principles for use of dental cone beam computed tomography: consensus guidelines of the European Academy of Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 38(4), 187-195. doi: 10.1259/dmfr/74941012
5. Kursun, S., Hakan, K.M., Bengi, O. & Nihat, A. (2015). Use of cone beam computed tomography to determine the accuracy of panoramic radiological markers: A pilot study. Journal of Dental Sciences. 10(2), 167-171. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jds.2013.04.003.
6. Amarnath, G.S., Kumar, U., Hilal, M., Muddugangadhar, B.C., Anshuraj, K. & Shruthi, C.S. (2015). Comparison of Cone Beam Computed Tomography, Orthopantomography with Direct Ridge Mapping for Pre-Surgical Planning to Place Implants in Cadaveric Mandibles: An Ex-Vivo Study. J Int Oral Health. 7(Suppl 1), 38-42..