Vitamin D deficiency is a global health problem, its role as an immune modulator being recently emphasized. Recent studies are increasingly suggesting that vitamin D plays a significant role in reducing the incidence and progression of autoimmune diseases. Furthermore, it was reported that patients with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, an autoimmune thyroid disease had lower vitamin D levels .
We initiated a prospective study, for a period of 6 months with a study group represented by 160 patients admitted to the National Institute of Endocrinology “CI Parhon” in the period 2013 -2014. Patients were divided into 3 groups: 121 patients without thyroid pathology, 22 patients diagnosed with chronic autoimmune thyroiditis, who received 2000 IU cholecalciferol daily, 17 patients diagnosed with chronic autoimmune thyroiditis, which did not receive cholecalciferol.
We found that patients with chronic thyroiditis have a poor vitamin D status with ATPO values negatively correlating with 25 (OH) vitamin D levels. Treatment with cholecalciferol not only improves vitamin D status but also lowers antithyroid antibodies titres. Keywords: vitamin D deficiency, chronic
5. Runia, T.F., Hop, W.C., De Rijke, Y.B., Buljevak D. & Hintzen, R.Q. (2012). Lower serum vitamin D levels are associated with a higher relapse risk in multiple sclerosis. Neurology.(79), 261-266.
6. Varenna, M., Manara, M., Cantatore, F. P., Del Puente, A., Di Munno, O., Malavolta, N., Minisola, G., Adami, S., Sinigaglia, L. & Rossini, M. (2012). Determinants and effects of vitamin D supplementation on serum 25-hydroxy-vitamin D levels in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 30(5), 714-719.
7. Holick, M.F., Binkley, N.C., Bischoff-Ferrari, H.A., Gordon C.M, Hanley, R.P., Murad M.H. & Weaver, C.M. (2011). Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. (96),1911-1930.
8. Zhang, H., Liang, L. & Xie, Z., (2015). Low Vitamin D Status Is Associated With Increased Thyrotropin-Receptor Antibody Titer in Graves Disease; Endocr Pract. 21(3), 258-263;
9. Yasuda, T., Okamoto, Y., Hamada, N., Miyashita, K., Takahara, M., Sakamoto, F., Miyatsuka, T., Kitamura, T., Katakami, N., Kawamori, D., Otsuki, M., Matsuoka, T.A., Kaneto H & Shimomura, I. (2013). Serum vitamin D levels are decreased in patients without remission of Graves’ disease. Endocrine, 43(1), 230-232. doi: 10.1007/s12020-012-9789-6Mazokopakis E.E.& Kotsiris D.A.(2014).Hashimoto’s autoimmune thyroiditis and vitamin D deficiency. Current aspects; Hell J Nucl Med 17(1), 37-40;
10. Shin, D.Y., Kim, K.J., Kim, D., Hwang, S., & Lee, E.J. (2014). Low serum vitamin D is associated with anti-thyroid peroxidase antibody in autoimmune thyroiditis. Yonsei Med J. 55(2), 476-481. doi: 10.3349/ ymj.2014.55.2.476
11. Kivity, S., Agmon-Levin, N., Zisapp, M. & Shapira Y. (2011). Vitamin D and autoimmune thyroid diseases; Cellular & Molecular Immunology 8. pg. 243-247;
12. Clinckspoor, I., Jacqueline, A.C. & Sande, V. (2012). The Vitamin D Receptor in Thyroid Development and Function; Eur Thyroid J. 1, 168-175;
13. Feng, M., Li, H., Chen, S. F., Li, W. F., & Zhang, F.B. (2013). Polymorphisms in the vitamin D receptor gene and risk of autoimmune thyroid diseases: a meta-analysis. Endocrine. 43(2), 318-326. doi: 10.1007/s12020-012-9812-y
14. Proal, A.D., Albert, P.J., Marshall, T.G. (2009). Dysregulation of the vitamin D nuclear receptor may contribute to the higher prevalence of some autoimmune diseases in women. Ann N Y Acad Sci.1173: 252
15. Antico, A., Tampoia, M., Tozzoli, R. & Bizzaro, N. (2012).Can supplementation with vitamin D reduce the risk or modify the course of autoimmune diseases? A systematic review of the literature. Autoimmun Rev.12 pg.127-136