The paper presents experimental results of the visualization of the nonlinear aeroacoustic sound generation phenomena occurring in organ flue pipe. The phase-locked particle image velocimetry technique is applied to visualize the mixed velocity field in the transparent organ flue pipe model made from Plexiglas. Presented measurements were done using synchronization to the tone generated by the pipe itself sup- plied by controlled air flow with seeding particles. The time series of raw velocity field distribution images show nonlinear sound generation mechanisms: the large amplitude of deflection of the mean flue jet and vortex shedding in the region of pipe mouth. Proper Orthogonal Decomposition (POD) was then applied to the experimental data to separately visualize the mean mass flow, pulsating jet mass flow with vortices and also sound waves near the generation region as well as inside and outside of the pipe. The resulting POD spatial and temporal modes were used to approximate the acoustic velocity field behaviour at the pipe fundamental frequency. The temporal modes shapes are in a good agreement with the microphone pressure signal shape registered from a distance. Obtained decomposed spatial modes give interesting insight into sound generating region of the organ pipe and the transition area towards the pure acoustic field inside the resonance pipe. They can give qualitative and quantitative data to verify existing sound generation models used in Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and Computational Aero-Acoustics (CAA).
1. Bamberger A. (2005), Vortex sound in flutes using flow determination with endo-piv, 4th European Congress on Acoustics (Budapest), 665-70.
2. Berkooz G., Holmes P., Lumley J.L. (1993), The proper orthogonal decomposition in the analysis of turbulent flows, Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech., 25, 539-575.
3. Cuadra P. (2005), The sound of oscilating air jets: physics, modelling and simulation in flute-like instruments, PhD thesis, Stanford University.
4. Fabre B., Gilbert J., Hirschberg A., Pelorson X. (2012), Aeroacoustics of Musical Instruments, Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech., 44, 1-25.
5. Flether N.H. (1976), Transients in the speech of organ flue pipes a theoretical study, Acustica, 34, 224-233.
6. Howe M.S. (1998), Acoustics of Fluid-Structure Interactions, Cambridge University Press.
7. Kobayashi T., Akamura T., Nagao Y., Iwasaki T., Nakano K., Takahashi K., Aoyagi M. (2014), Interaction between compressible fluid and sound in a flue instrument, Fluid Dyn. Res., 46, 061411 (14 pp).
8. Loeve M. (1955), Probability theory, D. Van Nostrand, New York.
9. MacDonald R., Skulina D.J., Campbell D.M., Valiere J.Ch., Marx D., Bailliert H. (2010), PIV and POD Applied to High Amplitude Acoustic Flow at a Tube Termination, Procedings of 10-eme Congres Francais d’Acoustique, Lyon.
10. Mickiewicz W. (2014a), Visualization of sound generation mechanism in organ flue pipe by means of particle image velocimetry, Proc. of 7th Forum Acusticum, Krakow, Poland.
11. Mickiewicz W. (2014b), Systematic error of acoustic particle image velocimetry and its correction, Metrology and Measurement Systems, 21, 3, 447-460.
12. Moreau S., Bailliet H., Valiere J-Ch., Boucheron R., Poignand G. (2009), Development of Laser Techniques for Acoustic Boundary Layer Measurements, Part II: Comparison of LDV and PIV Measurements to Analytical Calculations, Acta Acoustica united with Acoustica, 95, 805-813.
13. Paal G., Angster J., GarenW., Miklos A. (2006), A combined LDA and flow-visualization study on flue organ pipes, Experiments in Fluids, 40, 825-835.
14. Perre G., Nila A., Vanlanduit S. (2012), Measurement of sound and flow fields in an organ pipe using a scanning laser Doppler vibrometer, 16th Int Symp on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, Lisbon.
15. Raffel M., Willert C., Kompenhans J. (2007), Particle image velocimetry: a practical guide, Springer, Berlin, New York, Heidelberg.
16. Sirovich L. (1987), Turbulence and the dynamics of coherent structures. Part 1: Coherent structures, Quarterly of App. Math., 45, 561-571.
17. Weyna S., Mickiewicz W. (2014), Phase-Locked Particle Image Velocimetry Visualization of the Sound Field at the Outlet of a Circular Tube, Acta Physica Polonica A, 125, 4-A, A-108-112.
18. Weyna S., Mickiewicz W. (2013), Experimental acoustic flow analysis inside a section of an acoustic waveguide, Archives of Acoustics, 38, 2, 211-216.
19. Weyna S., Mickiewicz W. (2014), Multi-Modal Acoustic Flow Decomposition Examined in a Hard Walled Cylindrical Duct, Archives of Acoustics, 39, 2, 289-296.
20. Yoshikawa S., Tashiro H., Sakamoto Y. (2012), Experimental examination of vortex-sound generation in an organ pipe: A proposal of jet vortex-layer formation model, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 331, 11, 2558-2577.
21. Yoshikawa S. (2013), Aerodynamical sounding mechanism in flue instruments: Acceleration unbalance between the jet vortex layers, ICA 2013, Montreal in Proc. of Meetings on Acoustics, 19, 1-9.