This paper presents an investigation about acoustic absorption of mortars with partial replacement of sand by waste (plywood formwork, rice husk, and thermoplastic shoe counters), examining different levels of replacement (0%, 5%, 10%, 25%, and 50%). The measurement of acoustic absorption was performed using a plane wave impedance tube with 100 mm diameter, using mortar samples of 20 mm, in frequency range 200-2000 Hz. Results demonstrated that some composite with waste presented noise reduction coefficient (NRC) above the reference mortar (NRC = 0.0343), such as a composite with 50% rice husk (NRC = 0.2757) and other with 50% of plywood waste (NRC = 0.2052). Since there is virtually no cost or difficulty to use these residuals, it may be concluded that it is a sustainable alternative to improve the acoustic comfort and reduce the impact of the waste on the environment.
1. ABNT - Brazilian Standards Institute (2010), NBR15575-1 - Performance of residential buildings upto five floors, Part 1: General requirements [in Portuguese], ABNT, Rio de Janeiro.
2. Bistafa S.R. (2006), Acoustics applied to noise control [in Portuguese], Edgard Blücher, Sao Paulo.
3. Branco F.G., Godinho L., Tavares J.A. (2010), Use of light mortars on reducing floor impact noisetransmission [in Portuguese], Proceedings of 3rd Portuguese Conference on Construction Mortars, APFAC, Lisbon.
4. Del Rey R., J., Alba J., Ramis J., Sanchís V.J. (2011), New acoustic absorbing materials obtained fromplastic bottles waste [in Spanish], Materiales de Construccion, 61, 304, 547-558.
6. Ersoy S., Küçük H. (2009), Investigation of indus-trial tea-leaf-fibre waste material for its sound absorp-tion properties, Applied Acoustics, 70, 215-220.
7. Ferraz R. (2008), Impact noise attenuation on floorsof multi-pavement buildings [in Portuguese], Master Thesis, PPGEC, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brasil.
8. Gerges S. (2000), Noise: Fundamentals and control [in Portuguese], 3rd ed., NR Editora, Florianópolis, Brasil.
9. IBGE - Brazilian National Statistical Institute (2010), Results from Decennial Demographic Census, IBGE, Rio de Janeiro.
10. Kazmierczak C.S., Kern A.P., Santos I.S.S., Ramires M.V.V., Silva H.C. (2003), Thermoplas-tic of shoes waste from Leather-footwear industry [in Portuguese], [in:] Use of construction waste in residen-tial buildings, Rocha J.C, John V.M., ANTAC, Porto Alegre, Brasil.
11. Kieling A. (2009), Influence of segregation on the per-formance of mortars with rice husk ash and pozzolanswith adsorbent material [in Portuguese], Master Thesis, PPGEC, Universidade do Vale do Rio dos Sinos, Sao Leopoldo, Brasil.
12. Losso M., Viveiros E.B. (2004), Drywall and acous-tic insulation: theory versus practice in Brazil [in Portuguese], Proceedings of the 10th Brazilian Conference on Technology of Built Environment, ANTAC, Sao Paulo.
13. Mehta P.K., Monteiro P.J.M. (2006), Concrete:microstructure, properties, and materials, 3rd ed., McGraw-Hill, New York.
14. Mosmann A.S. (2012), Proposal to use rationalizationand waste management of building formwork wood [in Portuguese], Master Thesis, PPGEC, Universidade do Vale do Rio dos Sinos, Sao Leopoldo, Brasil.
16. Polli T., Viveiros E.B. (2007), When price no mat-ters: Relationship among building costs and acousticscomfort [in Portuguese], Proceedings of 9th Brazilian Conference on Comfort in Built Environment, ANTAC, Ouro Preto, Brasil.
17. Porges G. (1977), Applied Acoustics, Edward Arnold, London.
18. Ramis J., Alba J., Del Rey R., Escuder E., Sanchís V.J. (2010), New sound absorbers materialsbased on Kenaf fiber [in Spanish], Materiales de Construcción, 60, 299, 133-143.
19. Rocha J.C., John V.M. (2003), Use of constructionwaste in residential buildings [in Portuguese], ANTAC, Porto Alegre, Brasil.
20. Sakamoto S., Takauchi Y., Yanagimoto K., Watanabe S. (2011), Study for sound absorbing materi-als of biomass tubule etc. (Measured Result for RiceStraw, Rice Husks, and Buckwheat Husks), Journal of Environment and Engineering, 6, 2, 352-364.
21. Tutikian B.F., Nunes M.F.O., Leal L.C., Marquetto L. (2012), Impact sound insulation oflightweight concrete floor with EVA waste, Building Acoustics, 19, 2, 75-88.
22. Vianna N.S., Roméro M.A. (2002), Methodologyfor assessing post-occupancy in low-income housingprojects with an emphasis on environmental comfort [in Portuguese], Ambiente Constru´ıdo, 2, 3, 71-84.
23. Yang H.-S., Kim D.-J., Kim H.-J. (2003), Rice straw-wood particle composite for sound absorbing woodenconstruction materials, Bioresource Technology, 86, 2, 117-121.