Introduction: Glomus tumors are rare benign mesenchymal neoplasms accounting for only 2% of all types of soft tissue tumors. Commonly located in the peripheral soft tissues, they are most frequently encountered in the subungual areas of fingers and toes, and very rarely in visceral organs due to the absence of glomus bodies. To date, 22 cases of primary renal glomus tumors have been described in the literature, of which 17 benign, with no evidence of recurrence or metastasis, three cases of malignant glomus tumor, and two cases with uncertain malignant potential. Case report: We report the 18th case of a benign glomus tumor of the kidney in a 49-year-old female patient, presenting the microscopic appearance (round, uniform cells with indistinct borders, scant finely granular eosinophilic cytoplasm, round nuclei lacking prominent nucleoli, arranged in solid sheets, accompanied by slit-like vascular spaces), the immunohistochemical profile (tumor cells showed immunoreactivity for smooth muscle actin, vimentin, as well as for CD34; they were negative for AE1/AE3, desmin, HMB-45, S-100 protein, renin, and chromogranin), and the differential diagnosis of this rare entity (juxtaglomerular tumor, angiomyolipoma, hemangioma, epithelioid leyomioma, solitary fibrous tumor, carcinoid tumor, and paraganglioma). Conclusion: Primary renal glomus tumors are rare tumors that radiologically can mimic other mesenchymal renal neoplasm. Accurate diagnosis is based on the microscopic appearance and especially the characteristic immunophenotype.
1. Fletcher CDM, Bridge JA, Hagedoorn P, Mertens F, editors. WHO classification of Soft Tissue and Bone, 4th ed. Lyon: IARC Press; 2013
2. Almaghrabi A, Almaghrabi N, Al-Maghrabi H - Glomangioma of the Kidney: A Rare Case of Glomus Tumor and Review of the Literature. Case Rep Pathol. 2017;2017:7423642.
3. Schwarz R -A case of renal glomus tumor. Zentralbl Chir. 1957;82(35):1516-1520.
4. Billard F, Dumollard JM, Cucherousset J, Boucheron S, Baril A - Two benign vascular tumors of the kidney capsule. Ann Pathol. 1991;11(4):266-270.
5. Gravet C, Roquet L, Rioux-Leclercq N, Marguet F, Sabourin JC -Glomus tumor of kidney: Unusual location of a rare mesenchymal tumor. Ann Pathol. 2015;35(5):440-444.
6. Siddiqui NH, Rogalska A, Basil IS - Glomangiomyoma (glomus tumor) of the kidney. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2005;129(9):1172-1174.
7. Herawi M, Parwani AV, Edlow D, Smolev JK, Epstein JI - Glomus tumor of renal pelvis: a case report and review of the literature. Hum Pathol. 2005;36(3):299-302.
8. Al-Ahmadie HA, Yilmaz A, Olgac S, Reuter VE. Glomus tumor of the kidney: a report of 3 cases involving renal parenchyma and review of the literature. Am J Surg Pathol. 2007;31(4):585-591.
9. Sugimoto K, Yamamoto Y, Hashimoto K, Esa A, Okamoto S - Glomus tumor of the kidney. Int J Urol. 2010;17(2):187-188.
10. Nuwayhid Z, Rodriguez MM, Prescott A et al. -. Renal glomus tumor in an adolescent: a conservative approach. J Pediatr Surg. 2010;45(6):e23-26.
11. Onishi T, Kato M, Hoshina A - Glomus tumor of the hypoplastic kidney. Int J Urol. 2010;17(7):677-8.
12. Sasaki K, Bastacky SI, Hrebinko RL, Parwani AV, Zynger DL - Glomus tumor of the kidney: case report and literature review. Int J Surg Pathol. 2011;19(3):393-397.
13. Novis E, Raman A, Maclean F, Lazzaro E - Glomus tumour of the kidney: a case report and review of the literature. ANZ J Surg. 2018;88(6):653-654.
14. Lazor JW, Guzzo TJ, Bing Z, Lal P, Ramchandani P, Torigian DA - Glomus tumor of the kidney: a case report with CT, MRI and histopathological findings. Open Journal of Urology 2016; 5(5): 80-85.
15. Masson P - Le glomus neuromyo-arteriel des regions tactiles et ses tumeurs. Lyon Chir 1924; 21(3): 257-280.
16. Lamba G, Rafiyath SM, Kaur H et al. - .Malignant glomus tumor of kidney: the first reported case and review of literature. Hum Pathol. 2011;42(8):1200-1203.
17. Chen YA, Li HN, Wang RC, Hung SW, Chiu KY -Malignant Glomus Tumor of the Kidney: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2017;15(1):e151-e153.
18. Li R, Petros FG, Davis CJ Jr, Ward JF - Characterization of Glomus Tumors of the Kidney. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2017; 16(1): e253-256.
19. Folpe AL, Fanburg-Smith JC, Miettinen M, Weiss SW - Atypical and malignant glomus tumors: analysis of 52 cases, with a proposal for the reclassification of glomus tumors. Am J Surg Pathol. 2001;25(1):1-12.
20. Pusztaszeri M. Glomus tumor of kidney: differential diagnosis from juxtaglomerular cell tumor. Hum Pathol. 2012;43(4):616.
21. Tamboli P, Ro JY, Amin MB, Ligato S, Ayala AG - Benign tumors and tumor-like lesions of the adult kidney. Part II: Benign mesenchymal and mixed neoplasms, and tumor-like lesions. Adv Anat Pathol. 2000;7(1):47-66.
22. Al-Maghrabi HA, Al Rashed AS. Challenging Pitfalls and Mimickers in Diagnosing Anastomosing Capillary Hemangioma of the Kidney: Case Report and Literature Review. Am J Case Rep. 2017;18:255-262.
23. Vetorazzo Filho JE, Bahia LA, Esteves PE et al. - Renal hemangiopericytoma: case report and literature review.Einstein (Sao Paulo). 2015;13(2):269-72.
24. Gu X, Cheng M, Herrera GA -Kidney carcinoid tumor: Histological, immunohistochemical and ultrastructural features.Ultrastruct Pathol. 2018;42(1):18-22.