In type A aortic dissection (AoD) an early and accurate diagnosis is essential to improve survival, by applying urgent surgical repair. 3D transthoracic echocardiography (3D-TTE), an advanced noninvasive imaging technique, could offer a comprehensive evaluation of the ascending aorta and aortic arch in this regard. Both modalities of real-time 3D imaging – live 3D and full-volume aquisition – proved to be useful in evaluating the localization and extent of AoD. Our case illustrates the utility of 3D-TTE in the complex assessment AoD. By providing the proper anatomical dataset, 3D-TTE could facilitate considerably the diagnosis of type A AoD.
1. Lang MR, Badano LP, Tsang W, et al. EAE/ASE recommendations for image acquisition and display using three-dimensional echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2012 Jan;25:3-46.
2. Vegas A. Three-dimensional transesophageal echocardiography: Principles and clinical applications. Ann Card Anaesth. 2016 Oct;19(Supplement):S35-S43.
3. Di Eusanio M, Trimarchi S, Patel HJ, et al. Clinical presentation, management, and short-term outcome of patients with type A acute dissection complicated by mesenteric malperfusion: observations from the International Registry of Acute Aortic Dissection. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013 Feb;145:385–90.
4. Januzzi JL, Eagle KA, Cooper JV, et al. Acute aortic dissection presenting with congestive heart failure: results from the International Registry of Acute Aortic Dissection. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005 Aug;46:733–5.
8. Wang CJ, Rodriguez Diaz CA, Trinh MA. Use of real-time three-dimensional transesophageal echocardiography in type A aortic dissections: advantages of 3D TEE illustrated in three cases. Ann Card Anaesth. 2015 Jan-Mar;18:83-6.
9. Nanda NC, Khatri GK, Samal AK, et al. Three dimensional echocardiographic assessment of aortic dissection. Echocardiography. 1998 Nov;15:745–54.
10. Htay T, Nanda NC, Agrawal G, et al. Live three-dimensional transthoracic echocardiographic assessment of aortic dissection. Echocardiography. 2003 Aug;20:573–7.
11. Yelamanchili P, Nanda NC, Patel V, et al. Definitive diagnosis of descending thoracic aortic dissection by real time/live threedimensional transthoracic echocardiography. Echocardiography. 2006 Feb;23:158–61.