A tool with a punch of ø5 mm and a die with a specially formed circular cavity and an annular gap was used for mechanical joining of thin hot-dip galvanized steel sheets. The active parts of punch and die were covered by PVD coating of ZrN type with LARC technology. The punches and the dies were tested in a complex tool by joining thin hot-dip galvanized steel sheets with the pressing force of 7,000 N. Decohesion of coating with width of 100 – 200 μm was observed in the perimeter of cylindrical part of ø5×4 mm in the in edge of punch radius R = 0.5 mm with deposited ZrN coating after the creation of 150 mechanical joints. The decohesion of PVD coating occurred mainly in the surroundings of the radius R = 0.5 mm on the front plane of ø15 mm part.
1. Attar F., Johannesson T. (1996), Adhesion evaluation of thin ceramic coatings on tool steel using the scratch testing technique, Surface and Coatings Technology, 78, 87-102.
2. Chalker P.R., Bull S.J., Rickerby D.S. (1991), A review of the methods for the evaluation of coating-substrate adhesion, Materials Science and Engineering, A 140, 583-592.
3. Chen Ch., Zhao S., Cui M., Han X., Fan S., Ishida T. (2016), An experimental study on the compressing process for joining Al6061 sheets, Thin-Walled Structures, 108, 56-63.
4. Eshtayeh M.M., Hrairi M., Mohiuddin A.K.M. (2016), Clinching process for joining dissimilar materials: state of the art, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 82, 179-195.
5. He X., Zhao L., Deng C., Xing B., Gu F., Ball A. (2015) Self-piercing riveting of similar and dissimilar metal sheets of aluminum ally and copper alloy, Materials and Design, 65, 923-933.
6. ISO 20502(E): (2005), Fine ceramics (advanced ceramics, advanced technical ceramics) - Determination of adhesion of ceramic coatings by scratch testing.
7. Jiang T., Liu Z.X., Wang, P.C. (2015), Effect of aluminum pre-straining on strength of clinched galvanized SAE1004 steel-to-AA6111-T4 aluminum, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 215, 193-204.
8. Kaščák Ľ., Spišák E., Mucha J. (2013), Clinchrivet as an alternative method to resistance spot welding, Acta Mechanica et Automatica, 7, 79-82.
9. Kaščák Ľ., Spišák E., Mucha J. (2015), Mechanical joining of various materials by clinching method, Key Engineering Materials, 662, 205-208.
10. Kaščák Ľ., Spišák E., Spišáková E., Gajdoš I. (2015), Clinching – an innovative trend in joining of combined materials in car body production, Materials Science Forum, 818, 217-220.
11. Lambiase F., Di Ilio A. (2015), Mechanical clinching of metal-polymer joints, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 215, 12-19.
12. Lambiase F., Di Ilio A. (2016), Damage analysis in mechanical clinching: Experimental and numerical study, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 230, 109-120.
13. Mucha J., Kaščák Ľ., Spišák E. (2011), Joining the car-body sheets using clinching process with various thickness and mechanical property arrangements, Archives of civil and mechanical engineering, XI, 135-148.
14. Mucha J., Kaščák Ľ., Spišák E. (2013), The experimental analysis of forming and strength of clinch riveting sheet metal joint made of different materials, Advances in Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 2013, 1-11.
15. Mucha J., Witkowski, W. (2014), The clinching joints strength analysis in the aspects of changes in the forming technology and load conditions, Thin-Walled Structures, 82, 55-66.
16. Pulker H. K., Perry A. J., Berger R. (1981), Adhesion, Surface Technology, 14, 25 – 39.
17. Renzelli M., Mughal M.Z., Sebastiani M., Bemporad E. (2016), Design, fabrication and characterization of multilayer Cr-CrN thin coatings with tailored residual stress profiles, Materials & Design, 112, 162-171.
18. Rickerby D. S. (1988), A review of the methods for the measurement of coating-substrate adhesion, Surface and Coatings Technology, 36, 541 – 557.
19. Śliwa A., Mikuła J., Gołombek K., Tański T., Kwaśny W., Bonek M., Brytan Z. (2016), Prediction of the properties of PVD/CVD coatings with the use of FEM analysis, Applied Surface Science, 388, 281-287.
20. Wang L., Wang Y., Zhang W.Q., Sun X.G., He J.Q., Pan Z.Y., Wang C.H. (2012), Finite element simulation of stress distribution and development in 8YSZ and double-ceramic-layer La2Zr2O7/8YSZ thermal barrier coatings during thermal shock, Applied Surface Science, 258, 3540-3551.
21. Witkowski, W. (2015), The shear strength of the round clinching joints formed by using extensible die, Advances in Science and Technology Research Journal, 9, 72-76.