This paper establishes a basic framework for addressing the issue of teacher’s role and education in English for Special Purposes (ESP) with an overview of English for Medical Purposes (EMP).
The content of an ESP/EMP syllabus is determined by the learners’ reasons for learning English. This has led to a change in the role that teachers have in specialized English classes compared to general English. They are required to work actively with the learners and medical subject teachers in order to create a syllabus that would promote effective learning.
Teacher education encompasses adequate knowledge, teaching and professional skills, interests and attitudes towards teaching.
1. Nunan D. Language Teaching Methodology: A Textbook for Teachers. Phoenix ELT, London, UK, 1995.
2. Saragih E. Designing ESP Materials for Nursing Students Based On Needs Analysis. International Journal of Linguistics 2014; 6: 59-70. http://dx.doi.org/10.5296/ijl.v6i4.5983
3. Long MH. Methodological issues in learner needs analysis. In M.H. Long (Ed.), Second language needs analysis. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2005. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511667299.002
4. Stein SG. Equipped for the future: A customerdriven Vision for Adult Literacy and Lifelong Learning. Washington DC: National Institute for Literacy, 1995.
5. Jackson J. . An inter-university, cross-disciplinary analysis of business education: perceptions of business faculty in Hong Kong. Eng Speci Purp 2005; 24: 293-306. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.esp.2004.02.004
6. Antic Z. Benefits of Student-Centered Tandem Teaching in Medical English.SrpArh 2015; 143: 500-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.2298/SARH1508500A
7. Antic Z. FactaUniversitatis (Medicine and Biology). 2008; 15: 125-9.
8. Pilott M. How to Teach a Language.XLIBRIS.New Zealand, 2013.
9. Brown JD. The Elements of Language Curriculum.Heinle&Heinle Publishers, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, 1995.
10. Harmer J. The Practice of English Language Teaching.Longman Handbooks for Language Teachers, London, UK, 1996.Chrousos GP. Stressors, stress, and neuroendocrine integration of the adaptive response. The 1997 Hans Selye Memorial Lecture. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1998; 851:311-35.