Fracture evaluation of welded joints in high-strength steels, with bainitic and martensitic structures, is presented and cracking mechanisms discussed. Hot cracks or microcracks formed during welding are further expanded as cold cracks on cooling. The cause of cracking is shown to be low temperature of weld solidification and deformation-induced contraction. Hydrogen can also be an important factor in this cracking.
1. Ćwiek J.: Hydrogen enhanced-cracking of high-strength steel welded joints. Advances in Materials Science 4 (2008) 4-13.
2. Łabanowski J., Fydrych D., Rogalski G.: Underwater welding - A review. Advances in Materials Science 3 (2009) 11-22.
3. Kozak T. Resistance to cold cracking of welded joints made of P460NL1 steel. Advances in Materials Science 3 (2011) 20-27.
4. Fydrych D., Kozak T.: Underwater welded joint properties investigation. Advances in Materials Science 4 (2010) 4-14.
5. Muszka K., Majta J., Bienias Ł.: Effect of grain refinement on mechanical properties of microalloyed steels. Metallurgy and Foundry Engineering 2 (2006) 87-97.
6. Skubisz P., Sińczak J., Bednarek S., Łukaszek-Sołek A.: Effect of deformation degree on properties of forgings after thermomechanical treatment. Metallurgy and Foundry Engineering 2 (2006) 107-115.
7. Stefańska-Kądziela M., Majta J., Muszka K.: Effects of strain rate on work hardening of HSLA and Ti-IF steels. Metallurgy and Foundry Engineering 1 (2006) 19-29.
8. Fydrych D., Łabanowski J., Rogalski G.: Weldability of high strength steels in wet welding conditions. Polish Marine Research 2 (2013) 67-73.
9. ASM Handbook Volume 01: Properties and Selection: Irons, Steels, and High-Performance Alloys. ASM International. 1990
10. EN 10025-6 Hot rolled products of structural steels - Technical delivery conditions for flat products of high yield strength structural steels in the quenched and tempered condition.
11. EN 10216-2 Seamless steel tubes for pressure purposes - Technical delivery conditions - Nonalloy and alloy steel tubes with specified elevated temperature properties
12. PN-EN ISO 4063 Welding and allied processes - Nomenclature of processes and reference numbers.
13. Adamiec J.: Hot Cracking of welded joints of the 7CrMoVTiB10-10 steel. IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng. 22 (2011) 1-11.
14. PN-EN ISO 5817 Welding - Fusion-welded joints in steel, nickel, titanium and their alloys (beam welding excluded) - Quality levels for imperfections.
15. Tasak E., Ziewiec A., Adamiec J.: Influence of hydrogen on welded joint cracking in bainitic and microalloyed steels. Metallurgy - Metallurgical Engineering News 4 (2008) 170-176 (in Polish).
16. Ziewiec A., Pańcikiewicz K., Tasak E.: Cracking in the welds metal of 7CrMoVTiB10-10 (T24) steel during welding, commissioning and operating of power units. Welding Technology Review 5 (2012) 2-7 (in Polish).
17. Adamiec J.: Cracking of welded joints made from 7CrMoVTiB10-10 steel. Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. Power welding, Ostaniec, Kroczyce, 2011, 7-19 (in Polish).
18. Kou S.: Welding Metallurgy, Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2003.
19. Tasak E.: Welding Metallurgy, Jak, Kraków, 2008 (in Polish).