In this case report we are presenting a rare case of primary pulmonary plasmacytoma in a dog in the context of clinical and pathological findings. A six-years-old, female Rottweiler was brought to the clinic with respiratory complaints. The patient was dyspneic and tachypneic, and there were friction sounds on auscultation of the lungs. Laryngeal and tracheal palpation induced severe cough. Lateral and ventrodorsal radiographs of the thorax showed increased opacity in the lungs and loss of cardiac silhouette. Based on clinical and radiological findings, diagnosis of a lung mass was made and surgery recommended. Under general anesthesia, bilobectomy of the right lung lobes by medial sternotomy was performed. Upon cytological and histopathological findings, plasmacytoma was diagnosed.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Morris J Dobson J: Skin. In: Small Anim Oncology. Oxford United Kingdom: Blackwell Science; 2001 65.
2. Adelman L Larson V Sissener T Spotswood T: Extramedullary plasmacytoma in the lung of a Doberman pinscher dog. Can Vet J = La Rev Vet Can Canadian Veterinary Medical Association; 2014 55:1237–1240.
3. Mathé G Rappaport H O’Connor G Torloni H: Histological and cytological typing of neoplastic diseases of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues. Int Histol Classif Tumours No 14 Geneva: World Health Organization; 1976.
4. Montero C Souto A Vidal I Fernández M del M Blanco M Verea H: Plasmocitoma pulmonar primario: aportación de 3 casos. Arch Bronconeumol 2009 45:564–566.
5. Kupanoff PA Popovitch CA Goldschmidt MH: Colorectal Plasmacytomas: A Retrospective Study of Nine Dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2006 42:37–43.
6. Wright ZM Rogers KS Mansell J: Survival Data for Canine Oral Extramedullary Plasmacytomas: A Retrospective Analysis (1996–2006). J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2008 44:75–81.
7. Hayes AM Gregory SP Murphy S McConnell JF Patterson-Kane JC: Solitary extramedullary plasmacytoma of the canine larynx. J Small Anim Pract 2007 48:288–291.
8. Witham A French A Hill K: Extramedullary laryngeal plasmacytoma in a dog. N Z Vet J 2012 60:61–64.
9. Wettere AJ Van Linder KE Suter SE Olby NJ: Solitary Intracerebral Plasmacytoma in a Dog: Microscopic Immunohistochemical and Molecular Features. Vet Pathol 2009 46:949-951.
10. Lu R Medina KL Lancki DW Singh H: IRF-48 orchestrate the pre-B-to-B transition in lymphocyte development. Genes Dev 2003 17:1703–1708.
11. Wiltshaw E: The natural history of extramedullary plasmacytoma and its relation to solitary myeloma of bone and myelomatosis. Medicine (Baltimore) 1976 55:217–238.
12. Withrow S Vail D: Withrow &MacEwen’s Small Animal Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. St. Louis Missouri: Saunders Elsevier; 2001.
13. Cangul IT Wijnen M Van Garderen E van den Ingh TSGAM: Clinico-pathological aspects of canine cutaneous and mucocutaneous plasmacytomas. J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med 2002 49:307–312.
14. Raskin R: Skin and subcutaneous tissues. In: Canine and feline cytology: a color atlas and interpretation guide 2nd ed. St. Louis Missouri USA: Saunders; 2010 26–76.
15. Platz SJ Breuer W Pfleghaar S Minkus G Hermanns W: Prognostic Value of Histopathological Grading in Canine Extramedullary Plasmacytomas. Vet Pathol 1999 36:23–27.
16. Gross T Ihrke P Walder E Affolter V: Skin diseases of the dog and cat: clinical and histopathologic diagnosis 2nd ed. Oxford United Kingdom: Blackwell; 2005.
17. Trevor PB Saunders GK Waldron DR Leib MS: Metastatic extramedullary plasmacytoma of the colon and rectum in a dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1993 203:406–409.
18. Albanese F: Cytology of Skin Tumours. In: Canine and Feline Skin Cytology Switzerland: Springer International Publishing Switzerland; 2017 321–328.
19. Wang J Pandha HS Treleaven J Powles R: Metastatic Extramedullary Plasmacytoma of the Lung. Leuk Lymphoma Taylor & Francis; 1999 35:423–425.
20. Hayes-Lattin B Blanke CD Deloughery TG: Pulmonary and intracerebral plasmacytomas in a patient without multiple myeloma: A case report. Am J Hematol 2003 73:131–134.