The presence of bovine parainfluenza virus type 3 (BPIV3) was examined in 119 nasal swabs collected from cattle with severe respiratory infection. All samples were conducted for virus isolation on the MDBK cell line. The cytopathic effect was observed after 48h to 72h in cells inoculated with eight samples (8/119; 6.7%). The confirmation of isolated strains of BPIV3 was done by the virus-neutralization test. In addition, all samples of bovine nasal swabs were also examined for the presence of BPIV3 virus using RT-PCR with primers specific for the part of HN gene. The presence of BPIV3 was detected in eight samples (8/119; 6.7%) that were also positive upon virus isolation. The molecular characterization based on nucleotide sequencing of the part of the HN gene showed that all BPIV3 isolates belonged to genotype C of BPIV3. They branched in one distinct cluster with three different branches, but these branches were very similar to each other (98.1% to 99.8%). Serbian BPIV3c isolates were most similar to the Chinese BPIV3c isolates SD0805, SD0809 and SD0835 (from 97.92% to 99.7%), and to South Korean (12Q061), Japanese (HS9) and American (TVMDL16 and TVMDL20) BPIV3c strains (from 97.1% to 98.8%), and distinct from American (TVMDL15and TVMDL17) and Australian (Q5592) BPI3V genotype B strains (only 79.9% to 82.3% similarity), as well as from the genotype A BPIV3 strains from different countries published in GenBank.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Wen YJ Shi XC Wang FX Wang W Zhang SQ Li G Chen LZ Cheng SP Wu H: Phylogenetic analysis of the bovine parainfluenza virus type 3 from cattle herds revealing the existence of a genotype A strain in China. Virus Genes 2012 3:542-547.
2. Hanadan B Kirbas A Dorman E Timurkan MO Kandemir FM Alkan O: Cardiac troponin-I concentration in weaned calves with bovine respiratory disease. Acta Veterinaria- Beograd 2015 65 (4):454-462
3. Oem JK Lee EY Lee KK Kim SH Lee MH Hyun BH: Molecular characterization of a Korean bovine parainfluenza virus type 3 isolate. Veterinary Microbiology 2013 162:224-227.
4. Veljović Lj Knežević A Milić N Nišavić J: The application of molecular methods in the identification of isolated strains of parainfluenza 3 virus of cattle. Archive of biological science 2014 66:491-496.
5. Nišavić J Milić N: Examination of the activity of glycoprotein HN and F antigens of outer envelope of the parainfluenza virus type 3 by using fusional hemolytic and hemagglutinating test in vitro. Acta veterinaria 2006 56:431-436.
6. Maidana S Lomonaco P Combessies G Craig M Diodati J Rodrigez D Parreno V Zabal O: Isolation and characterization of bovine parainfluenza virus type 3 from water buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis) in Argentina. Veterinary Research 2012 83:1-9.
7. Yong Yang Feng - Xue Wang Na Sun Li Cao Shu - Qin Zhang Hong- Wei Zhu Li Guo Shi - Peng Cheng Yong - Jun Wen: Development and evaluation of two truncated recombinant NP antigen - based indirect ELISAs for detection of bovine parainfluenza virus type 3 antibodies in cattle. Journal of virological methods 2015 222:47-54.
8. Lyon M Leroux C Chaestag T Patet J Mornex JF: Presence of a unique parainfluenza virus 3 strain identified by RT-PCR in visna-maedi virus infected sheep. Veterinary Microbiology 1997 51:95-104.
9. Nišavić J Milić N Knežević A: Laboratorijska dijagnostika virusnih infekcija. In: Izolacija virusa u kulturi ćelija. Beograd Srbija: Naučna KMD; 2013 34-36.
10. Jian - Le Ren Yuan - Mao Zhu Yue - Hui Zhou Chuang Lv Hao Yan Lei Ma Hong - Fei Shi Fei Xue: Identification of three antigen epitopes on the nucleocapsid protein of the genotype C of bovine parainfluenza virus type 3. Veterinary Microbiology 2015 178:61-69.
11. Zhu YM Shi HF Gao YR Xin JQ Liu NH Xiang WH Ren XG Feng JK Zhao LP Xue F: Isolation and genetic characterization of bovine parainfluenza virus type 3 from cattle in China. Veterinary Microbiology 2011 149:446-451.
12. Tamura K. Nei M. and Kumar S.: Prospects for inferring very large phylogenies by using the neighbor-joining method. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA) 2004 101:11030-11035.
13. Tamura K. Stecher G. Peterson D. Filipski A. and Kumar S.: MEGA6: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis version 6.0. Molecular Biology and Evolution 2013 30:2725-2729.
14. Conceciao MM Tonso A Freitas CB Pereira CA: Viral antigen production in cell cultures on microcarriers bovine parainfluenza 3 virus and MDBK cells. Vaccine 2007 25:7785-7795.
15. Gafer JAM Hussein AReda IM: Isolation and characterization of PI3 virus from sheep and goat. International Journal of Virology 2009 1:28-35.
16. Horwood PF Gravel JL Mahony TJ: Identification of two distinct bovine parainfluenza virus type 3 genotypes. Journal of General Virology 2008 89:1643-1648.
17. Ohkura T Kokuho T Konishi M Kameyama K Takeuchi K: Compete genome sequences of bovine parainfluenza virus type 3 strain BN-1 and vaccine strain BN-CE. Genome Announcement 2013 1:1.