With the increased number of multi-drug formulations, there is a need to develop new methods for simultaneous determinations of drugs. A precise, accurate and reliable liquid chromatographic method was developed for simultaneous determination of paracetamol, thiamine, and pyridoxal phosphate in pharmaceutical formulations. Separation of analytes was carried out with an Agilent Poroshell C18 column. A mixture of ammonium phosphate buffer (pH = 3.0), acetonitrile and methanol in the ratio of 86:7:7 (V/V/V) was used as the mobile phase pumped at a flow rate of 1.8 mL min−1. Detection of all three components, impurities and degradation products was performed at the selected wavelength of 270 nm. The developed method was validated in terms of linearity, specificity, precision, accuracy, LOD and LOQ as per ICH guidelines. Linearity of the developed method was found in the range 17.5–30 µg mL−1 for thiamine, 35–60 µg mL−1 for pyridoxal phosphate and 87.5–150 µg mL−1 for paracetamol. The coefficient of determination was ≥ 0.9981 for all three analytes. The proposed HPLC method was found to be simple and reliable for the routine simultaneous analysis of paracetamol, thiamine and pyridoxal phosphate in tablet formulations. Complete separation of analytes in the presence of degradation products indicated selectivity of the method.
1. C. Celma, J. Allue, J. Prunonosa, C. Peraire and R. Obach, Simultaneous determination of paracetamol and chlorpheniramine in human plasma by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry, J. Chromatogr. A870 (2000) 77–86; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(99)01252-2
2. S. Vidović, B. Stojanović, J. Veljković, L. Pražić-Arsić, G. Roglić and D. Manojlović, Simultaneous determination of some water-soluble vitamins and preservatives in multivitamin syrup by validated stability-indicating high-performance liquid chromatography method, J. Chromatogr. A1202 (2008) 155–162; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2008.06.039
3. R. Bishop, G. Davidson, I. Holmes and B. Ruck, Virus particles in epithelial cells of duodenal mucosa from children with acute non-bacterial gastroenteritis, Lancet302 (1973) 1281–1283; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(73)92867-5
6. Z. Chen, B. Chen and S. Yao, High-performance liquid chromatography/electrospray ionizationmass spectrometry for simultaneous determination of taurine and 10 water-soluble vitamins in multivitamin tablets, Anal. Chim. Acta569 (2006) 169–175; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2006.03.099
7. M. Ciulu, S. Solinas, I. Floris, A. Panzanelli, M. I. Pilo, P. C. Piu, N. Spano and G. Sanna, RP-HPLC determination of water-soluble vitamins in honey, Talanta83 (2011) 924–929; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2010.10.059
8. D. Emre and N. Özaltın, Simultaneous determination of paracetamol, caffeine and propyphenazone in ternary mixtures by micellar electrokinetic capillary chromatography, J. Chromatogr. B847 (2007) 126–132; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2006.09.036
9. H. Şenyuva and T. Özden, Simultaneous high-performance liquid chromatographic determination of paracetamol, phenylephrine HCl, and chlorpheniramine maleate in pharmaceutical dosage forms, J. Chromatogr. Sci. 40 (2002) 97–100; https://doi.org/10.1093/chromsci/40.2.97
10. U. Höller, C. Brodhag, A. Knöbel, P. Hofmann and V. Spitzer, Automated determination of selected water-soluble vitamins in tablets using a bench-top robotic system coupled to reversed-phase (RP-18) HPLC with UV detection, J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 31 (2003) 151–158; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0731-7085(02)00574-5
11. K. Callmer and L. Davies, Separation and determination of vitamin B1, B2, B6 and nicotinamide in commercial vitamin preparations using high performance cation-exchange chromatography, Chromatographia7 (1974) 644–650; https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02290508
12. M. Amin and J. Reusch, High-performance liquid chromatography of water-soluble vitamins. Part 3. Simultaneous determination of vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12 and C, nicotinamide and folic acid in capsule preparations by ion-pair reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography, Analyst112 (1987) 989–991; https://doi.org/10.1039/AN9871200989
13. B. Morelli, Determination of a quaternary mixture of vitamins B6, B1, and B12 and uridine 5′-triphosphate, by derivative spectrophotometry, J. Pharm. Sci. 84 (1995) 34–37; https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.2600840109
14. P. Moreno and V. Salvado, Determination of eight water-and fat-soluble vitamins in multi-vitamin pharmaceutical formulations by high-performance liquid chromatography, J. Chromatogr. A870 (2000) 207–215; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(99)01021-3
15. A. Lebiedzińska, M. L. Marszałł, J. Kuta and P. Szefer, Reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography method with coulometric electrochemical and ultraviolet detection for the quantification of vitamins B1 (thiamine), B6 (pyridoxamine, pyridoxal and pyridoxine) and B12 in animal and plant foods, J. Chromatogr. A1173 (2007) 71–80; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2007.09.072
16. A. Gliszczyńska-Świgło and I. Rybicka, Simultaneous determination of caffeine and water-soluble vitamins in energy drinks by HPLC with photodiode array and fluorescence detection, Food Anal. Methods8 (2015) 139–146; https://doi.org/10.1007/s12161-014-9880-0
17. A. El-Gindy, K. A.-S. Attia, M. W. Nassar, H. H. Abu Seada and M. A.-S. Shoeib, HPLC method for determination of paracetamol, psedoephedrine, triprolidine, methylparaben, propylparaben, sodium benzoate, and their related substances in pharmaceutical syrup, J. Liq. Chromatogr. Relat. Technol. 36 (2013) 1251–1263; https://doi.org/10.1080/10826076.2012.685922
18. M. I. Walash, F. Ibrahim and S. Abo El Abass, Development and validation of HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of famotidine, paracetamol and diclofenac in their raw materials and pharmaceutical formulation, Anal. Chem. Lett. 7 (2017) 421–437; https://doi.org/10.1080/22297928.2017.1353921
19. M. L. Marszałł, A. Lebiedzińska, W. Czarnowski and P. Szefer, High-performance liquid chromatography method for the simultaneous determination of thiamine hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride and cyanocobalamin in pharmaceutical formulations using coulometric electrochemical and ultraviolet detection, J. Chromatogr. A1094 (2005) 91–98; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2005.07.091
21. K. Ishii, K. Sarai, H. Sanemori and T. Kawasaki, Analysis of thiamine and its phosphate esters by high-performance liquid chromatography, Anal. Biochem. 97 (1979) 191–195; https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(79)90345-2
22. International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use, ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline – Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology Q2(R1), Current Step 4 version, November 2005.
23. I. Taverniers, E. Van Bockstaele and M. De Loose, Analytical Method Validation and Quality Assurance, in Pharmaceutical Sciences Encyclopedia: Drug Discovery, Development, and Manufacturing, Wiley, Hoboken (NJ) 2010, pp. 1–48.
24. A. Rignall, ICHQ1A(R2) Stability Testing of New Drug Substance and Product and ICHQ1C Stability Testing of New Dosage Forms (chapter 1), in ICH Quality Guidelines: An Implementation Guide (Eds. A. Teasdale, D. Elder and R. W. Nims), Wiley, Hoboken (NJ) 2017, pp. 3–44.