A simple and sensitive spectrofluorimetric method for determination of atenolol (ATE) using gold nanoparticles (AuNPs) was developed. The method is based on the quenching effect of atenolol on photoluminescence of AuNPs at λem = 705 nm. Variables affecting luminescence of gold nanoparticles such as the solvent, pH value and surfactant were studied and optimized. The method was preliminarily validated according to ICH guidelines. A linear correlation was recorded within the range of 1.0–10 mg mL−1 ATE with the coefficient of determination R2 of 0.999. The limit of detection and limit of quantitation for atenolol were found to be 0.87 and 2.64 mg mL−1, resp. Good recoveries in the range of 98.7–100.0 % were obtained for spiked samples. The proposed method was applied successfully to assaying atenolol in pharmaceuticals formulations.
1. J. G. Hardman, L. E. Limbird and A. G. Gilman, Goodman and Gilman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, 10th ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 2001, 1011–1021.
2. F. Belal, S. Al-Shaboury and A. Al-Tamrah, Spectrofluorometric determination of labetolol in pharmaceutical preparations and spiked human urine through the formation of coumarin derivative, J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 30 (2002) 1191–1196; https://doi.org/10.1016/s0731-7085(02)00471-5
3. H. Basan and S. Yarımkaya, A novel solid-phase extraction-spectrofluorimetric method for the direct determination of atenolol in human urine, Luminescence 29 (2013) 225–229; https://doi.org/10.1002/bio.2532
4. A. Bavili-Tabrizi, F. Bahrami and H. Badrouj, A very simple and sensitive spectrofluorimetric method based on the oxidation with cerium(IV) for the determination of four different drugs in their pharmaceutical formulations, Pharm. Sci. 23 (2017) 50–58; https://doi.org/10.15171/ps.2017.08
5. Y. Jiang, N. N. Horimoto, K. Imura, H. Okamoto, K. Matsui and R. Shigemoto, Bioimaging with two-photon-induced luminescence from triangular nanoplates and nanoparticle aggregates of gold, Adv. Mat. 21 (2009) 2309–2313; https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.200802312
6. A. D. McFarland, C. L. Haynes, C. A. Mirkin, R. P. V. Duyne and H. A. Godwin, Color my nanoworld, J. Chem. Ed. 81 (2004) 544A–544B; https://doi.org/10.1021/ed081p544a
7. O. Stern and M. Volmer, Decay of fluorescence, J. Röntgen Soc. 15 (1919) 133–133; https://doi.org/10.1259/lrs.1919.0087
8. International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use, ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline, Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology Q2(R1), Current Step 4 version, November 2005; https://www.ich.org/fileadmin/Public_Web_Site/ICH_Products/Guidelines/Quality/Q2_R1/Step4/Q2_R1_Guideline.pdf; last access date Dec 11, 2017.
9. K. G. Thomas, B. I. Ipe and P. K. Sudeep, Photochemistry of chromophore-functionalized gold nanoparticles, Pure Appl. Chem. 74 (2002) 1731–1738; https://doi.org/10.1351/pac200274091731
10. V. Amendola, G. A. Rizzi, S. Polizzi and M. Meneghetti, Synthesis of gold nanoparticles by laser ablation in toluene: quenching and recovery of the surface plasmon absorption, J. Phys. Chem. B 109 (2005) 23125–23128; https://doi.org/10.1021/jp055783v
11. K. Wagers, T. Chui and S. Adem, Effect of pH on the stability of gold nanoparticles and their application for melamine detection in infant formula, IOSR J. Appl. Chem. 7 (2014) 15–20; https://doi.org/10.9790/5736-07821520
12. R. Pamies, J. G. H. Cifre, V. F. Espín, M. Collado-González, F. G. D. Baños and J. G. de la Torre, Aggregation behaviour of gold nanoparticles in saline aqueous media, J. Nanopart. Res. 16 (2014) Article ID 2376 (11 pages); https://doi.org/10.1007/s11051-014-2376-4
13. J. Lim, N.-E. Lee, E. Lee and S. Yoon, Surface modification of citrate-capped gold nanoparticles using CTAB micelles, Bull. Kor. Chem. Soc. 35 (2014) 2567–2569; https://doi.org10.5012/bkcs.2014.35.8.25674
14. A. M. El-Didamony and M. A. Moustafa, Direct spectrophotometric determination of atenolol and timolol anti-hypertensive drugs, Int. J. Pharm. Pharm. Sci. 9 (2017) 47–53; https://doi.org/10.22159/ijpps.2017v9i3.16198
15. I. E. H. Elgailani and T. H. Alghamdi, Development of spectrophotometric method for the determination of atenolol in Normoten drug, Int. J. Chem. 9 (2017) 58–64; https://doi.org/0.5539/ijc.v9n1p58