Cymbopogon citratus (DC) Stapf., commonly known as lemongrass, possesses strong antioxidant and cardiotonic properties. Lemongrass water extract contains several polyphenolic compounds including gallic acid, isoquercetin, quercetin, rutin, catechin and tannic acid. Rutin, isoquercetin catechin and quercetin are the flavonoids most abundantly found in the extract. The extract significantly decreased total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein and atherogenic index in rats after treatment (p < 0.05). Expression of genes and protein of sterol regulatory element binding protein-1c (SREBP1c) and HMG-CoA reductase (HMGR) was also lowered significantly in treated groups (p < 0.05). Moreover, serum antioxidant capacity increased in treated rats in comparison with untreated ones (p < 0.05) and was associated with decreased serum lipid peroxidation.
1. K. B. Pandey and S. I. Rizvi, Plant polyphenols as dietary antioxidants in human health and disease, Oxid. Med. Cell Longev. 2 (2009) 270–278; https://doi.org/10.4161/oxim.2.5.9498
2. S. J. Nicholls, E. M. Tuzcu, I. Sipahi, A. W. Grasso, P. Schoenhagen, T. Hu, K. Wolski, T. Crowe, M. Y. Desai, S. L. Hazen, S. R. Kapadia and S. E. Nissen, Statins, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, and regression of coronary atherosclerosis, JAMA 297 (2007) 499–508; https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.297.5.499
3. M. P. Sajan, M. L. Standaert, S. Nimal, U. Varanasi, T. Pastoor, S. Mastorides, U. Braun, M. Leitges and R. V. Farese, The critical role of atypical protein kinase C in activating hepatic SREBP-1c and NFkappaB in obesity, J. Lipid Res. 50 (2009) 1133–1145; https://doi.org/10.1194/jlr.M800520-JLR200
4. O. Avoseh, O. Oyedeji, P. Rungqu, B. Nkeh-Chungag and A. Oyedeji, Cymbopogon species; ethnopharmacology, phytochemistry and the pharmacological importance, Molecules 20 (2015) 7438–7453; https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules20057438
5. M. L. McCullough, J. J. Peterson, R. Patel, P. F. Jacques, R. Shah and J. T. Dwyer, Flavonoid intake and cardiovascular disease mortality in a prospective cohort of US adults, Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 95 (2012) 454–464; https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.111.016634
6. K. Wolfe, X. Wu and R. H. Liu, Antioxidant activity of apple peels, J. Agric. Food Chem. 51 (2003) 609–614; https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020782a
7. C. C. Chang, M. H. Yang, H. M. Wen and J. C. Chern, Estimation of total flavonoid content in propolis by two complementary colorimetric methods, J. Food Drug Anal. 10 (2002) 178–182.
8. A. Duangjai, N. Limpeanchob, K. Trisat and D. Amornlerdpison, Spirogyra neglecta inhibits the absorption and synthesis of cholesterol in vitro, Integr. Med. Res. 5 (2016) 301–308; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imr.2016.08.004
9. M. Okawa, J. Kinjo, T. Nohara and M. Ono, DPPH (1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl) radical scavenging activity of flavonoids obtained from some medicinal plants, Biol. Pharm. Bull. 24 (2001) 1202–1205.
10. H. H. Draper, E. J. Squires, H. Mahmoodi, J. Wu, S. Agarwal and M. Hadley, A comparative evaluation of thiobarbituric acid methods for the determination of malondialdehyde in biological materials, Free Radic. Biol. Med. 15 (1993) 353–363.
11. C. K. Roberts, K. Liang, R. J. Barnard, C. H. Kim and N. D. Vaziri, HMG-CoA reductase, cholesterol 7a-hydroxylase, LDL receptor, SR-B1, and ACAT in diet-induced syndrome X, Kidney Int. 66 (2004) 1503–1511; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1523-1755.2004.00914.x
12. X. Rong, Y. Li, K. Ebihara, M. Zhao, T. Kusakabe, T. Tomita, M. Murray and K. Nakao, Irbesartan treatment up-regulates hepatic expression of PPARalpha and its target genes in obese Koletsky (fa(k)/fa(k)) rats: a link to amelioration of hypertriglyceridaemia, Br. J. Pharmacol. 160 (2010) 1796–1807; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-5381.2010.00835.x
13. S. L. Patil, S. H. Mallaiah and R. K. Patil, Antioxidative and radioprotective potential of rutin and quercetin in Swiss albino mice exposed to gamma radiation, J. Med. Phys. 38 (2013) 87–92; https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-6203.111321
14. T. A. Abd El-Aziz, R. H. Mohamed, H. F. Pasha and H. R. Abdel-Aziz, Catechin protects against oxidative stress and inflammatory-mediated cardiotoxicity in adriamycin-treated rats, Clin. Exp. Med. 12 (2012) 233–240; https://doi.org/10.1007/s10238-011-0165-2
15. M. Dobiasova and J. Frohlich, The plasma parameter log (TG/HDL-C) as an atherogenic index: correlation with lipoprotein particle size and esterification rate in apoB-lipoprotein-depleted plasma (FER(HDL)), Clin. Biochem. 34 (2001) 583–588.
16. S. Almoosawi, L. Fyfe, C. Ho and E. Al-Dujaili, The effect of polyphenol-rich dark chocolate on fasting capillary whole blood glucose, total cholesterol, blood pressure and glucocorticoids in healthy overweight and obese subjects, Br. J. Nutr. 103 (2010) 842–850; https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114509992431
17. L. Anila and N. R. Vijayalakshmi, Beneficial effects of flavonoids from Sesamum indicum, Emblica officinalis and Momordica charantia, Phytother. Res. 14 (2000) 592–595.
18. B. Enkhmaa, K. Shiwaku, T. Katsube, K. Kitajima, E. Anuurad, M. Yamasaki and Y. Yamane, Mulberry (Morus alba L.) leaves and their major flavonol quercetin 3-(6-malonylglucoside) attenuate atherosclerotic lesion development in LDL receptor-deficient mice, J. Nutr. 135 (2005) 729–734.
19. C. Bursill, P. D. Roach, C. D. Bottema and S. Pal, Green tea upregulates the low-density lipoprotein receptor through the sterol-regulated element binding protein in HepG2 liver cells, J. Agric. Food Chem. 49 (2001) 5639–5645.
20. P. S. M.Prince and N. K. Kannan, Protective effect of rutin on lipids, lipoproteins, lipid metabolizing enzymes and glycoproteins in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats, J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 58 (2006) 1373–1383; https://doi.org/10.1211/jpp.58.10.0011
21. A. Ziaee, F. Zamansoltani, M. Nassiri-Asl and E. Abbasi, Effects of rutin on lipid profile in hypercholesterolaemic rats, Basic Clin. Pharmacol. Toxicol. 104 (2009) 253–258; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-7843.2008.00368.x
22. R. Zhang, Y. Yao, Y. Wang and G. Ren, Antidiabetic activity of isoquercetin in diabetic KK -Ay mice, Nutr. Metab. (London) 8 (2011) Article ID 85 (6 pages); https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-7075-8-85
23. E. Ginter and V. Simko, Statins: the drugs for the 21st century?, Bratisl. Lek. Listy 110 (2009) 664–668.
24. J. Moon, S. M. Lee, H. J. Do, Y. Cho, J. H. Chung and M. J. Shin, Quercetin up-regulates LDL receptor expression in HepG2 cells, Phytother. Res. 26 (2012) 1688–1694; https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.4646
25. C. H. Wu, M. C. Lin, H. C. Wang, M. Y. Yang, M. J. Jou and C. J. Wang, Rutin inhibits oleic acid induced lipid accumulation via reducing lipogenesis and oxidative stress in hepatocarcinoma cells, J. Food Sci. 76 (2011) T65–T72; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2010.02033.x
26. N. Chen, R. Bezzina, E. Hinch, P. A. Lewandowski, D. Cameron-Smith, M. L. Mathai, M. Jois, A. J. Sinclair, D. P. Begg, J. D. Wark, H. S. Weisinger and R. S. Weisinger, Green tea, black tea, and epigallocatechin modify body composition, improve glucose tolerance, and differentially alter metabolic gene expression in rats fed a high-fat diet, Nutr. Res. 29 (2009) 784–793; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2009.10.003
27. V. Francisco, A. Figueirinha, G. Costa, J. Liberal, M. C. Lopes, C. García-Rodríguez, C. F. G. C. Geraldes, M. T. Cruz and M. T. Batista, Chemical characterization and antiinflammatory activity of luteolin glycosides isolated from lemongrass, J. Funct. Foods 10 (2014) 436–443; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2014.07.003
28. J. F. Liu, Y. Ma, Y. Wang, Z. Y. Du, J. K. Shen and H. L. Peng, Reduction of lipid accumulation in HepG2 cells by luteolin is associated with activation of AMPK and mitigation of oxidative stress, Phytother. Res. 25 (2011) 588–596; https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.3305
29. G. C. Ness, C. M. Chambers and D. Lopez, Atorvastatin action involves diminished recovery of hepatic HMG-CoA reductase activity, J Lipid Res. 39 (1998) 75–84.
30. F. Borthwick, R. Mangat, S. Warnakula, M. Jacome-Sosa, D. F. Vine, and S. D. Proctor, Simvastatin treatment upregulates intestinal lipid secretion pathways in a rodent model of the metabolic syndrome, Atherosclerosis 232 (2014) 141–418; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2013.10.031