The purpose of this study was to compare the efficacy of nucleoside analogues (NAs) in the treatment of HBV-related liver failure. The data of patients with HBV-related liver failure treated with nucleoside analogues were used to conduct a network meta-analysis. A total of 1660 patients from 12 articles about the efficacy of lamivudine, entecavir, telbivudine and tenofovir for HBV-related liver failure treatment were recruited in the study. The highest two- and three-month survival rate was recorded for patients using tenofovir. The end-stage liver disease (MELD) score and mortality in patients undergoing tenofovir treatment were the lowest. Patients treated with telbivudine had the highest one-month survival rate. Patients receiving enticavir therapy showed the lowest HBV DNA level. Our results indicate that tenofovir may be the best therapy for the treatment of HBV-related liver failure compared to other nucleoside analogues (including lamivudine, entecavir and telbivudine) and non-NAs treatment.
1. Y. Zhijian, L. Hui, Y. Weiming, L. Zhanzhou, C. Zhong, Z. Jinxin, W. Hongyan, D. Xiangbin, Y. Weizhi, L. Duoyun, L. Xiaojun and D. Qiwen, Role of the aspartate transaminase and platelet ratio index in assessing hepatic fibrosis and liver inflammation in adolescent patients with HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B, Gastroenterol. Res. Pract. 2015 (2015) Article ID 906026 (6 pages); https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/906026
2. Q. Zhou and H. Tang, The progress of antiviral therapy in patients with HBV-related liver failure, Hepatogastroenterology 60 (2013) 1877-1880.
3. S. Locarnini, Molecular virology of hepatitis B virus, Semin. Liver Dis. 24 (Suppl 1) (2004) 3-10.
4. Y. F. Liaw, Hepatitis B virus replication and liver disease progression: the impact of antiviral therapy, Antivir. Ther. 11 (2006) 669-679.
5. Y. N. Ye and Z. L. Gao, Three attacks in the development of HBV-related liver failure, Infect. Dis. Inf. 22 (2009) 276-279; https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1007-8134.2009.05.006
6. S. Uemoto, Y. Inomata, T. H. Egawa, S. Fujita, T. Kiuchi, M. Hayashi, M. Yasutomi, H. Yamabe and K. Tanaka, Living donor liver transplantation for fulminant hepatic failure, Transplant. Proc. 42 (2010) 990-993; https://doi.org/10.18926/AMO/55435
7. J. Gu, X. Shi, H. Ren, Q. Xu and J. Wang, Systematic review: extracorporeal bio-artificial liversupport system for liver failure, Hepatol. Int. 6 (2012) 670-683; https://doi.org/10.1007/s12072-012-9352-9
8. M. K. Jain, L. Comanor, C. White, P. Kipnis, C. Elkin, K. Leung, A. Ocampo, N. Attar, P. Keiser and W. M. Lee, Treatment of hepatitis B with lamivudine and tenofovir in HIV/HBV-coinfected patients: factors associated with response, J. Viral Hepatitis 14 (2007) 176-182; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2893.2006.00797.x
9. Y. W. Kim, J. H. Kwon, E. Chung, S. W. Lee, J.-y. Lee, J. W. Jang, K. W. Chung and S. W. Nam, Short term virologic efficacies of telbivudine versus entecavir against hepatitis B-related hepatocellular carcinoma, Gastroenterol. Res. Pract. 2015 (2015) Article ID 181065 (7 pages); https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/181065
10. J. F. Zhang, Y. Guo, C. X. Chen, H. Y. Song, J. Dong, X. Chen, Z. L. Chen and B. Liu, A study on the treatment effect of telbivudine on hepatitis B patients with acute on chronic liver failure, Mil. Med. J. Southeast China (2016); https://doi.org/10.3760/cma.j.issn.1007-3418.2015.01.006
11. S. S. Ma, Effect of enticavir on survival of patients with HBV-related liver failure: A meta-analysis, Shi Jie Hua Ren Xiao Hua Za Zhi (World Chin. J. Digestol.) 21 (2013) 2594-2600.
12. B. Hutton, G. Salanti, D. M. Caldwell, A. Chaimani, C. H. Schmid, C. Cameron, J. P. A. Ioannidis, S. Straus, K. Thorlund, J. P. Jansen, C. Mulrow, F. Catalá-López, P. C. Gøtzsche, K. Dickersin, I. Boutron, D. G. Altman and D. Moher, The PRISMA extension statement for reporting of systematic reviews incorporating network meta-analyses of health care interventions: Checklist and explanations, Ann. Intern. Med. 162 (2015) 777-784; https://doi.org/10.7326/m14-2385
13. C. P. Robert and G. Casella, Monte Carlo Statistical Methods, 2nd ed., Springer, New York, 2004.
14. S. P. Brooks and A. Gelman, General methods for monitoring convergence of iterative simulations, J. Comput. Graph. Stat. 7 (1998) 434-455.
15. T. Kanda, M. Shinozaki, H. Kamezaki, S. Wu, S. Nakamoto, M. Arai, K. Fujiwara, N. Goto, F. Imazeki and O. Yokosuka, Efficacy of lamivudine or entecavir on acute exacerbation of chronic hepatitis B, Int. J. Med. Sci. 9 (2012) 27-32.
16. B. Lin, C. Q. Pan, D. Xie, J. Xie, S. Xie, X. Zhang, B. Wu, C. Lin and Z. Gao, Entecavir improves the outcome of acute-on-chronic liver failure due to the acute exacerbation of chronic hepatitis B, Hepatol. Int. 7 (2013) 460-467; https://doi.org/10.1007/s12072-012-9415-y
17. L. J. Sun, J. W. Yu, Y. H. Zhao, P. Kang and S. C. Li, Influential factors of prognosis in lamivudine treatment for patients with acute-on-chronic hepatitis B liver failure, J. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 25 (2010) 583-590; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2009.06089.x
18. L. Wang, H. Chen, C. Fan and Z. Gong, Efficacy and safety of telbivudine therapy in liver failure patients with chronic hepatitis B virus infection, J. Med. Virol. 85 (2013) 1907-1912; https://doi.org/10.1002/jmv.23689
19. Y. Xianghui, X. Lang, Z. Yan, Z. Li, S. Xiaofeng and R. Hong, Prediction of prognosis to lamivudine in patients with spontaneous reactivation of hepatitis B virus-related acute-on-chronic liver failure: Using virologic response at week 4, Eur. J. Intern. Med. 25 ( 2014) 8 60-864; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2014.10.007
20. T. Chen, Y. He, X. Liu, Z. Yan, K. Wang, H. Liu, S. Zhang and Y. Zhao, Nucleoside analogues improve the short-term and long-term prognosis of patients with hepatitis B virus-related acute-onchronic liver failure, Clin. Exp. Med. 12 (2012) 159-164; https://doi.org/10.1007/s10238-011-0160-7
21. Y. L. Cui, Y. Fang, Y. B. Wang, X. Q. Song, L. Li, X. Z. Lei, M. H. Zheng, T. Hong and F. Ping, Nucleoside analogue can improve the long-term prognosis of patients with hepatitis B virus infection- associated acute or chronic liver failure, Dig. Dis. Sci. 55 ( 2010) 2 373-2380; https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-010-1257-7
22. H. Garg, S. K. Sarin, M. Kumar, V. Garg, B. C. Sharma and A. Kumar, Tenofovir improves the outcome in patients with spontaneous reactivation of hepatitis B presenting as acute-on-chronic liver failure, Hepatology 53 (2011) 774-780; https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.24109
23. K. Ma, W. Guo, M. Han, G. Chen, T. Chen, Z. Wu, D. Yang, J. Huang, Y. Huang, X. Zhao, J. Song, J. Qi and Q. Ning, Entecavir treatment prevents disease progression in HBV related acute-onchronic liver failure: Establishment of a novel logistical regression model, The International Liver Congress™ 201 - 46th annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver, Berlin, March 30 to April 3, 2011, Poster 742, J. Hepatol. 54 (Suppl. 1) (2011) S298; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-8278(11)60744-7
24. J. Lai, Y. Yan, L. Mai, Y. B. Zheng, W. Q. Gan and W. M. Ke, Short-term entecavir versus lamivudine therapy for HBeAg-negative patients with acute-on-chronic hepatitis B liver failure, Hepatob. Pancreat. Dis. Int. 12 (2013) 154-159.
25. Y. Zhang, X. Y. Hu, S. Zhong, F. Yang, T. Y. Zhou, G. Chen, Y. Y. Wang and J. X. Luo, Entecavir vs lamivudine therapy for naïve patients with spontaneous reactivation of hepatitis B presenting as acute-on-chronic liver failure, World J. Gastroenterol. 20 (2014) 4745-4752; https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v20.i16.4745
26. J. Wang, K. Ma, M. Han, W. Guo, J. Huang, D. Yang, X. Zhao, J. Song, D. Tian and J. Qi, Nucleoside analogs prevent disease progression in HBV-related acute-on-chronic liver failure: validation of the TPPM model, Hepatol. Int. 8 (2014) 64-71; https://doi.org/10.1007/s12072-013-9485-5
27. J. Wang, J. Liu, C. Qi, T. Yan, F. Cao, L. Jin, Y. He, Y. Yang, S. Zhang, T. Chen and Y. Zhao, Efficacy of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate to prevent vertical transmission in mothers with lamivudineresistant HBV, Antivir. Ther. 20 (2015) 681-687; https://doi.org/10.3851/IMP2981
28. B. Ceylan, C. Yardimci, M. Fincanci, G. Eren, U. Tozalgan, C. Muderrisoglu and Y. Akkoyunlu, Comparison of tenofovir and entecavir in patients with chronic HBV infection, Eur. Rev. Med. Pharmacol. Sci. 17 (2013) 2467-2473.
29. Y. B. Lee, E. U. Jung, B. H. Kim, J. H. Lee, H. Cho, H. Ahn, W. M. Choi, Y. Y. Cho, M. Lee and J. J. Yoo, Tenofovir monotherapy versus tenofovir plus lamivudine or telbivudine combination therapy in treatment of lamivudine-resistant chronic hepatitis B, Antimicrob. Agents Ch. 59 (2014) 972-978; https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.04454-14
30. Z. Krastev, D. Petrova, I. Kotzev, M. K. Celen, M. Mendelson, R. Chandra, P. Pandey and K. Hamed, Telbivudine vs tenofovir in hepatitis B e antigen-negative chronic hepatitis B patients: OPTIMA roadmap study, World J. Hepatol. 8 (2016) 1402-1413; https://doi.org/10.4254/wjh.v8.i32.1402
31. P. Marcellin, Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate versus adefovir dipivoxil for chronic hepatitis B, New Engl. J. Med. 359 (2009) 2442-2455; https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0802878
32. V. Ratziu, V. Thibault, Y. Benhamou and T. Poynard, Successful rescue therapy with tenofovir in a patient with hepatic decompensation andesistant HBV mutant, Comp. Hepatol. 5 ( 2006) 1-4; https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-5926-5-1