Unlike the case of conventional drug formulations, dissolution tests have hitherto not been required for herbal medicinal products commercially available in South Africa. This study investigated dissolution of the South African Sutherlandia frutescens using selected flavonoid glycosides as marker compounds. Dissolution of markers was assessed in three dissolution media at pH 1.2, 4.5 and 6.8, and samples were analysed using a validated HPLC method. The dissolution profile of each marker varied for the different materials investigated. All three media utilised showed differences in flavonoid glycoside dissolution between the S. frutescens products evaluated, with f2 values < 50 for comparison of flavonoid dissolution from any two of the materials. Dissolution of S. frutescens materials could thus be characterised using the markers in all the media tested. This tool may be employed in the future for comparison of orally administered S. frutescens products, provided between- batch variability is evaluated and found less than between-sample variability.
1. P. O. Erah, Herbal medicines: challenges, Trop. J. Pharm. Res. 1 (2002) 53-54.
2. D. R. Katerere and J. N. Eloff, Antibacterial and antioxidant activity of Sutherlandia frutescens (Fabaceae), a reputed anti-HIV/AIDS phytomedicine, Phytother. Res. 19 (2005) 779-781; DOI: 10.1002/ ptr.1719.
3. P. S. Fasinu, H. Gutmann, H. Schiller, A. D. James, P. J. Bouic and B. Rosenkranz, The potential of Sutherlandia frutescens for herb-drug interaction, Drug Metab. Dispos. 41 (2013) 488-497; DOI: 10.1124/dmd.112.049593.
4. X. Fu, X. C. Li, Y. H. Wang, B. Avula, T. J. Smillie, W. Mabusela, J. Syce, Q. Johnson, W. Folk and I. A. Khan, Flavonol glycosides from the South African medicinal plant Sutherlandia frutescens, Planta Med. 76 (2010) 178-181; DOI: 10.1055/s-0029-1186030.
5. P. Jin, S. Madieh and L. L. Augsburgers, Challenges with dissolution testing and quality assessment for commercial feverfew products, Dissolut. Technol. (2007) 14-20; DOI: 10.14227/DT140307P14.
6. G. Gabriels, M. Lambert, P. Smith and D. Hiss, Will the new Consumer Protection Act prevent harm to nutritional supplement users?, S. Afr. Med. J. 101 (2011) 543-545.
7. M. Vujiić and L. Pollak, Composition, labelling, and safety of food supplements based on bee products in EU legislation - Croatian experiences, Arh. Hig. Toksikol. 66 (2015) 243-249; DOI: 10.1515/aiht-2015-66-2654.
8. O. N. Mbamalu, E. Antunes, N. Silosini, H. Samsodien and J. Syce, HPLC determination of selected flavonoid glycosides and their corresponding aglycones in Sutherlandia frutescens materials, Med. Arom. Plants. 5 (2016); DOI: doi:
9. A. R. T. Costa, S. F. Alves, E. C. da Conceição, C. F. D. Garrote, J. R. Paula and M. T. F. Bara, Dissolution test of herbal medicines containing Passiflora sp., Braz. J. Pharmacogn. 21 (2011) 525-531; DOI: 10.1590/S0102-695X2011005000083.
10. O. Anand, L. X. Yu, D. P. Conner and B. M. Davit, Dissolution testing for generic drugs: an FDA perspective, AAPS J. 13 (2011) 328-335; DOI: 10.1208/s12248-011-9272-y.
11. S. P. Karuppiah, Analytical method development for dissolution release of finished solid oral dosage forms, Int. J. Curr. Pharm. Res. 4 (2012) 48-53.
12. J. W. Moore and H. H. Flanner, Mathematical comparison of dissolution profiles, Pharma Tech. 20 (1996) 64-74.
13. B. Zhang, W. K. Leung, Y. Zou, W. Mabusela, Q. Johnson, T. E. Michaelsen and B. S. Paulsen, Immunomodulating polysaccharides from Lessertia frutescens leaves: isolation, characterization and structure activity relationship, J. Ethnopharmacol. 152 (2014) 340-348.
14. V. K. R. Ghosh, S. G. Bhope, V. V. Kuber, P. S. Gaikwad and M. J. Patil, Development and validation of dissolution test method for andrographolide from film coated polyherbal tablet formulation, Int. J. Phar. Pharm. Sci. 4 (2012) 307-312.
15. M. C. Gohel, K. G. Sarvaiya, A. R. Shah and B. K. Brahmbhatt, Mathematical approach for the assessment of similarity factor using a new scheme for calculating weight, Indian J. Pharm. Sci. 71 (2009) 142-144; DOI: 10.4103/0250-474X.54281.
16. S. Kumar and A. K. Pandey, Chemistry and biological activities of flavonoids: an overview, Sci. World J. (2013) DOI: 10.1155/2013/162750.