This report presents the application of ultra-performance liquid chromatography coupled to quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry with positive electrospray ionization, to determine ramipril in human plasma. First, the proteins in human plasma were precipitated using acetonitrile, then the supernatant was extracted by ethyl acetate at pH 3 and finally, the extract was analyzed using a UPLC-QTOF- MS system. The method was validated and the coefficient of determination (R2) was > 0.999, the lower limit of quantification (LLOQ) was 0.5 ng mL-1. Precision, recovery and stability were determined for three different concentrations of ramipril. RSD for this method ranged from 3.3 to 8.6 %. The intra-day mean recovery was from 65.3 to 97.3 %. In addition, the fragmentation of ramipril was studied. Due to high resolution of the spectrometer, it was possible to measure fragment masses accurately and determine their molecular and chemical formulas with high accuracy.
1. K. V. Gowda, U. Mandal, P. S. Selvan, W. D. S. Solomon, A. Ghosh, A. K. Sarkar, S. Agarwal, T. N. Rao and T. K. Pal, Liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry method for simultaneous determination of metoprolol tartrate and ramipril in human plasma, J. Chromatogr. B 858 (2007) 13-21; DOI: 10.1016/j.jchromb.2007.07.047.
2. H. E. Abdellatef, M. M. Ayad and E. A. Taha, Spectrophotometric and atomic absorption spectrometric determination of ramipril and perindopril through ternary complex formation with eosin and Cu(II), J. Pharmacol. Biomed. Anal. 18 (1999) 1021-1027; DOI: 10.1016/S0731-7085(98)00113-7.
3. F. A. El Yazbi, M. E. Mahrous, H. H. Hammud, G. M. Sonji and M. N. Sonji, Comparative spectrophotometric, spectrofluorometric, and high-performance liquid chromatographic study for the quantitative determination of the binary mixture felodipine and ramipril in pharmaceutical formulations, Anal. Lett. 41 (2008) 853-870; DOI: 10.1080/00032710801934643.
4. A. S. Kamatchi, T. Vetrichelvan and D. Venkappaya, Simultaneous estimation of ramipril, acetylsalicylic acid and atorvastatin calcium by chemometrics assisted UV-spectrophotometric method in capsules, Acta Pharm. 61 (2011) 283-296; DOI: 10.2478/v10007-011-0027-1.
5. S. Orlandini, R. Gotti, I. Giannini, B. Pasquini and S. Furlanetto, Development of a capillary electrophoresis method for the assay of ramipril and its impurities: An issue of cis-trans isomerization, J. Chromatogr. A 1218 (2011) 2611-2617; DOI: 10.1016/j.chroma.2011.02.062.
6. Y. T. Wu, T. M. Cham and T. R. Tsai, Development of HPLC with photo-diode array method for the determination of ramipril in tablets using factorial design, J. Chin. Chem. Soc. 61 (2014) press; DOI: 10.1002/jccs.201400130.
7. S. Mehta, S. Singh, K. Chikhalia, P. Mehta and T. Dadhania, Determination of assay and uniformity of content of ramipril and telmisartan in their multiple dosage forms by a developed and validated supercritical fluid chromatographic technique, Anal. Methods 6 (2014) 7068-7074; DOI: 10.1039/C4AY01201A.
8. B .-A. Persson, C. Fakt, M. Ervik and M. Ahnoff , Interference from a glucuronide metabolite in the determination of ramipril and ramiprilat in human plasma and urine by gas chromatography- mass spectrometry, J. Pharmacol. Biomed. Anal. 40 (2006) 794-798; DOI: 10.1016/j.jpba.2005.08.013.
9. A . Tan, W. Jin, F. Deng, S. Hussain, A. Musuku and R. Masse, Bioanalytical method development and validation using incurred samples - simultaneous quantitation of ramipril and ramiprilat in human EDTA plasma by LC-MS/MS, J. Chromatogr. B 877 (2009) 3673-3680; DOI: 10.1016/j. jchromb.2009.09.017.
10. V . K. Gupta, R. Jain, O. Lukram, S. Agarwal and A. Dwivedi, Simultaneous determination of ramipril, ramiprilat and telmisartan in human plasma using liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry, Talanta 83 (2011) 709-716; DOI: 10.1016/j.talanta.2010.10.011.
11. R . Varga, Z. Eke and K. Torkos, Identification of phase I metabolites of cardiovascular and antiulcer drugs in surface water samples with liquid-chromatography-mass spectrometry methods, Talanta 85 (2011) 1920-1926; DOI: 10.1016/j.talanta.2011.07.020.
12. O. Gonzales, R. M. Alonso, N. Ferreirόs, W. Weinmann, R. Zimmermann and S. Dresen, Development of an LC-MS/MS method for the quantitation of 55 compounds prescribed in combined cardiovascular therapy, J. Chromatogr. B 879 (2011) 243-252; DOI: 10.1016/j.jchromb.2010.12.007.
13. D. S . Jain, G. Subbaiah, M. Sanyal, U. C. Pande and P. Shrivastav, First LC-MS/MS electrospray ionization validated method for the quantification of perindopril and its metabolite perindoprilat in human plasma and its application to bioequivalence study, J. Chromatogr. B 837 (2006) 92-100; DOI: 10.1016/j.jchromb.2006.04.008.
14. J. R. Patel, T. M. Pethani, A. N. Vachhani, N. R. Sheth and A. V. Dudhrejiya, Development and validation of bioanalytical method for simultaneous estimation of ramipril and hydrochlorothia zide in human plasma using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry, J. Chromatogr. B 970 (2014) 53-59; DOI: 10.1016/j.jchromb.2014.08.023.
15. B. Yuan, X. Wang, F. Zhang, J. Jia and F. Tang, Simultaneous determination of ramipril and active metabolite ramiprilat in human plasma by LC-MS-MS, Chromatographia 68 (2008) 533-539; DOI: 10.1365/s10337-008-0757-5.
16. Z. Z hu, A. Vachareau and L. Neirinck, Liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry method for determination of ramipril and its active metabolite ramiprilat in human plasma, J. Chromatogr. B 779 (2002) 297-306.
17. X.-Y. Lu, J.-Z. Shen-Tu and J. Liu, High-performance liquid chromatography-mass spectrometric analysis of ramipril and its active metabolite ramiprilat in human serum: Application to a pharmacokinetic study in the Chinese volunteers, J. Pharmacol. Biomed. Anal. 40 (2006) 478-483; DOI: 10.1016/j.jpba.2005.07.054.
18. S. B roecker, F. Pragst, A. Bakdash, S. Herre and M. Tsokos, Combined use of liquid chromatography- hybrid quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry (LC-QTOF-MS) and high performance liquid chromatography with photodiode array detector (HPLC-DAD) in systematic toxicological analysis, Forensic Sci. Int. 212 (2011) 215-226; DOI: 10.1016/j.forsciint.2011.06.014.
19. R. N . Tiwari and C. G. Bonde, LC, LC-MS/TOF and MSn studies for the identification and characterization of degradation products of nelfinavir mesylate, J. Pharmacol. Biomed. Anal. 55 (2011) 435-445; DOI: 10.1016/j.jpba.2011.02.020.
20. B. Ra ju, M. Ramesh, R. Srinivas, S. S. Raju and Y. Venkateswarlu, Identification and characterization of stressed degradation products of prulifloxacin using LC-ESI-MS/Q-TOF, MSn experiments: Development of a validated specific stability-indicating LC-MS method, J. Pharmacol. Biomed. Anal. 56 (2011) 560-568; DOI: 10.1016/j.jpba.2011.06.021.
21. V. Ku mar, S. Malik and S. Singh, Polypill for the treatment of cardiovascular diseases: Part 2. LC-MS/TOF characterization of interaction/degradation products of atenolol/lisinopril and aspirin, and mechanisms of formation thereof, J. Pharmacol. Biomed. Anal. 48 (2008) 619-628; DOI: 10.1016/j.jpba.2008.06.003.
22. R. Sk ibiński, A study of photodegradation of quetiapine by the use of LC-MS/MS method, Cent. Eur. J. Chem. 10 (2012) 232-240; DOI: 10.2478/s11532-011-0133-4.
23. P. Szp ot, K. Bańka, G. Buszewicz and R. Mądro, Determination of imazalil and thiabendazole by UPLC-Q-TOF-MS - an analysis of a grapefruit extract-containing dietary supplement, Curr. Issues Pharm. Med. Sci. 25 (2012) 401-403; DOI: 10.12923/j.2084-980X/25.4/a.13.
24. Y. Pico, M. la Ferre, C. Soler and D. Barcelo, Identification of unknown pesticides in fruits using ultra-performance liquid chromatography-quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry: Imazalil as a case study of quantification, J. Chromatogr. A 1176 (2007) 123-134; DOI: 10.1016/j.chroma. 2007.10.071.
25. M. Dendeni, N. Cimetiere, A. Amrane and N. Ben Hamida, Impurity profiling of trandolapril under stress testing structure elucidation of by-products and development of degradation pathway, Int. J. Pharm. 438 (2012) 61-70; DOI: 10.1016/j.ĳ pharm.2012.08.048.
26. R. Dubey and M. Ghosh, Simultaneous determination and pharmacokinetic study of losartan, losartan carboxylic, ramipril, ramiprilat and hydrochlorothiazide in rat plasma by liquid chromatography/ tandem mass spectrometry method, Sci. Pharm. (2014) in press; DOI: 10.3797/scipharm. 1410-15.