A simple, sensitive and accurate HPLC method with high throughput has been developed and validated for the simultaneous determination of irbesartan (IRB) and hydrochlorothiazide (HCT) in combined pharmaceutical dosage forms. The proposed method employed, for the first time, a monolithic column in the analysis. Optimal chromatographic separation of the analytes was achieved on Chromolith® Performance RP-18e column using a mobile phase consisting of phosphate buffer (pH 4)/acetonitrile (50:50, V/V) pumped isocratically at a flow rate of 1.0 mL min-1. The eluted analytes were monitored with a UV detector set at 270 nm. Under the optimum chromatographic conditions, linear relationship with a good correlation coefficient (R ≥ 0.9997) was found between the peak area and the corresponding concentrations of both IRB and HCT in the ranges of 10-200 and 1-20 ng mL-1. The limits of detection were 2.34 and 0.03 ng mL-1 for IRB and HCT, respectively. The intra- and inter-assay precisions were satisfactory as the RSD values did not exceed 3 %. The accuracy of the proposed method was > 97 %. The proposed method had high throughput as the analysis involved a simple procedure and a very short run- -time of < 3 min. The results demonstrated that the method is applicable in the quality control of combined pharmaceutical tablets containing IRB and HCT
1. S. Miura, S. S. Karnik and K. Saku, Review: Angiotensin II type 1 receptor blockers: class effects versus molecular effects, J. Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone Sys. 12 (2011) 1-7; DOI: 10.1177/ 1470320310370852.
2. M. Burnier and H. R. Brunner, Angiotensin II receptor antagonists, Lancet 355 (2000) 637-645; DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(99)10365-9.
3. A. Lant, Diuretic drugs progress in clinical pharmacology, Drugs 31 (1986) 40-55; DOI: 10.2165/ 00003495-198600314-00006.
4. J. M. Neutel, E. Saunders, G. L. Bakris, W. C. Cushman, K. C. Ferdinand, E. O. Ofili, J. R. Sowers and M. A. Weber, The efficacy and safety of low- and high dose fixed combinations of irbesartan/ hydrochlorothiazide in patients with uncontrolled systolic blood pressure on monotherapy: The inclusive trial, J. Clin. Hyperten. 7 (2005) 578-586; DOI: 10.1111/j.1524-6175.2004.04720.x.
5. M. R. Weir, J. M. Neutel, A. Bhaumik, M. E. D. Obaldia and P. Lapuerta, The efficacy and safety of initial use of irbesartan/hydrochlorothiazide fixed-dose combination in hypertensive patients with and without high cardiovascular risk, J. Clin. Hyperten. 9 (2007) 23-30; DOI: 10.1111/ j.1524-6175.2007.07805.x.
6. H. E. Abdellatef, Extractive-spectrophotometric determination of disopyramide and irbesartan in their pharmaceutical formulation, Spectrochim. Acta A 66 (2007) 1248-1254; DOI: 10.1016/j. saa.2006.06.015.
7. S. R. El-Shaboury, S. A. Hussein, N. A. Mohamed and M. M. El-Sutohy, Spectrofluorimetric method for determination of some angiotensin II receptor antagonists, J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2 (2012) 12-18; DOI: 10.1016/j.jpha.2011.10.005.
8. B. Bozal, B. Doghan-Topal, B. Uslu, S. A. Özkan and H. Y. Aboul-Enein, Quantitative analysis of irbesartan in pharmaceuticals and human biological fluids by voltammetry, Anal. Lett. 42 (2009) 2322-2338; DOI: 10.1080/00032710903137491.
9. I. H. I. Habib, S. A. Weshahy, S. Toubar and M. M. A. El-Alamin, Adsorptive stripping voltammetric determination of irbesartan in bulk and pharmaceutical products, Pharm. Chem. J. 42 (2008) 438-442; DOI: 10.1007/s11094-008-0144-4.
10. S.-Y. Chang, D. B. Whigan, N. N. Vachharajani and R. Patel, High-performance liquid chromatographic assay for the quantitation of irbesartan (SR 47436/BMS-186295) in human plasma and urine, J. Chromatogr. B 702 (1997) 149-155; DOI: 10.1016/S0378-4347(97)00387-3.
11. E. Martín, O. Hernández, F. Jiménez and J. J. Arias, Simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of hydrochlorothiazide and pharmaceutical preparations, Anal. Lett. 28 (1995) 1449-1464; DOI: 10.1080/00032719508006406.
12. M. Omar, Spectrophotometric and spectrofluorimetric determination of certain diuretics through ternary complex formation with eosin and lead (II), J. Fluoresc. 20 (2010) 275-281; DOI: 10.1007/ s10895-009-0551-2.
13. B. Rezaei and S. Damiri, Multiwalled carbon nanotubes modified electrode as a sensor for adsorptive stripping voltammetric determination of hydrochlorothiazide, Sensors J. IEEE 8 (2008) 1523-1529; DOI: 10.1109/jsen.2008.923585.
14. G. Carlucci, G. Palumbo, P. Mazzeo and M. Giovanna Quaglia, Simultaneous determination of losartan and hydrochlorothiazide in tablets by high-performance liquid chromatography, J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 23 (2000) 185-189; DOI: 10.1016/S0731-7085(00)00268-5.
15. M. Kartal and N. Erk, Simultaneous determination of hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride hydrochloride by ratio spectra derivative spectrophotometry and high-performance liquid chromatography, J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 19 (1999) 477-485; DOI: 10.1016/S0731-7085(98)00241-6.
16. S. Hillaert, K. De Grauwe and W. Van den Bossche, Simultaneous determination of hydrochlorothiazide and several inhibitors of angiotensin-converting enzyme by capillary electrophoresis, J. Chromatogr. A 924 (2001) 439-449; DOI: 10.1016/S0021-9673(01)00714-2.
17. J. Joseph-Charles, S. Brault, C. Boyer, M. H. Langlois, L. Cabrero and J. P. Dubost, Simultaneous determination of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide in tablets by derivative spectrophotometry, Anal. Lett. 36 (2003) 2485-2495; DOI: 10.1081/al-120024337.
18. C. Vetuschi, A. Giannandrea, G. Carlucci and P. Mazzeo, Determination of hydrochlorothiazide and irbesartan in pharmaceuticals by fourth-order UV derivative spectrophotometry, Farmaco 60 (2005) 665-670; DOI: 10.1016/j.farmac.2005.04.013.
19. A. S. Khodke, L. V. Potale, M. C. Damle and K. G. Bothara, A validated stability indicating HPTLC method for simultaneous estimation of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide, Pharm. Methods 1 (2010) 39-43; DOI: 10.4103/2229-4708.72229.
20. F. Coudoré, L. Harvard, S. Lefeuvre, E. M. Billaud, P. Beaune, G. Bobrie, M. Azizi, P. Prognon and S. Laurent, HPLC-DAD Analysis of hydrochlorothiazide and irbesartan in hypertensive patients on fixed-dose combination therapy, Chromatographia 74 (2011) 559-565; DOI: 10.1007/ s10337-011-2111-6.
21. N. Sultana, M. S. Arayne, S. S. Ali and S. Sajid, Simultaneous determination of olmesartan medoxomil and irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide in pharmaceutical formulations and human serum using high performance liquid chromatography, Chin. J. Chromatogr. 26 (2008) 544-549; DOI: 10.1016/S1872-2059(08)60029-2.
22. N. Erk, Simultaneous determination of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide in human plasma by liquid chromatography, J. Chromatogr. B 784 (2003) 195-201; DOI: 10.1016/S1570-0232(02) 00759-6.
23. L. F. Tutunji, M. F. Tutunji, M. I. Alzoubi, M. H. Khabbas and A. I. Arida, Simultaneous determination of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide in human plasma using HPLC coupled with tandem mass spectrometry: Application to bioequivalence studies, J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 51 (2010) 985-990; DOI: 10.1016/j.jpba.2009.10.023.
24. Z. Vuji}, N. Mulavdi}, M. Smaji}, J. Brbori} and P. Stankovi}, Simultaneous analysis of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide: An improved HPLC method with the aid of a chemometric protocol, Molecules 17 (2012) 3461-3474; DOI: 10.3390/molecules17033461.
25. F. Gerber, M. Krummen, H. Potgeter, A. Roth, C. Siffrin and C. Spoendlin, Practical aspects of fast reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography using 3 μm particle packed columns and monolithic columns in pharmaceutical development and production working under current good manufacturing practice, J. Chromatogr. A 1036 (2004) 127-133; DOI: 10.1016/j.chroma. 2004.02.056.
26. R. Plumb, G. Dear, D. Mallett and J. Ayrton, Direct analysis of pharmaceutical compounds in human plasma with chromatographic resolution using an alkyl-bonded silica rod column, Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 15 (2001) 986-993; DOI: 10.1002/rcm.329.
27. International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use, ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline, Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology Q2(R1), Current Step 4 version, Geneve November 2005; http://www.ich.org/fileadmin/Public_Web_Site/ICH_Products/Guidelines/Quality/Q2_R1/ Step4/Q2_R1__Guideline.pdf; January 9, 2014.
28. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, Maryland, USA, Analytical Procedures and Methods Validation, Chemistry, Manufacturing, and Controls Documentation., US FDA, Silver Spring (MD), August 2000; http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/ Guidances/ucm122858.pdf; January 9, 2014.
29. V. P. Rane, K. R. Patil, J. N. Sangshetti, R. D. Yeole and D. B. Shinde, Stability indicating LC method for simultaneous determination of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide in pharmaceutical preparations, J. Chromatogr Sci. 48 (2010) 595-600; DOI: 10.1093/chromsci/48.7.595.