Anew simple, convenient and suitable spectrophotometric method for simultaneous determination of Furosemide and Spironolactone in combined dosage form has been developed and validated. Simultaneous equation method (Vierordt’s method) was used for determination of Furosemide and Spironolactone in combined dosage form. For spectrophotometric method development double distilled water and ethanol were used as a solvent in the ratio of (20:80). The proposed method was quantitatively evaluated in terms of linearity, precision, accuracy, lower limit of detection (LOD) and quantification (LOQ), recovery and robustness. All the parameters were found to be within the acceptance limit. λmax of Furosemide and Spironolactone was found to be 275 and 237 nm respectively. Beer’s law was obeyed over the concentration ranges of 2-10 μg mL−1 for both Furosemide and Spironolactone respectively. The % assay for commercial formulation was found to be 99.60%±0.0500 for Furosemide and 100.26%±1.17 for Spironolactone by the proposed methods. The overall recovery was observed to be 100.38±0.09% for Furosemide and 100.49±0.4197% for Spironolactone by simultaneous equation method (Vierordt’s method). LOD and LOQ were 0.76 and 2.32 μg mL−1 for Furosemide, 1.99 and 6.04 μg mL−1 for Spironolactone. A new simple, convenient, precise, rapid, accurate and economical and reliable spectrophotometric method was developed and validated for the analysis of Furosemide and Spironolactone in bulk drug and their formulations.
1. Giebisch, G. The use of a diuretic agent as a probe to investigate site and mechanism of ion transport processes. Arzneimittelforschung. 1985, 35(1), 336–342.
2. Qureshi, S.A.; McGilveray, I.J. Assessment of pharmaceutical quality of furosemide tablets from multinational markets. Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm. 1998, 24(11), 995–1005.
3. Espinosa, B.M.; Sanchez, A.J.R.; Sanchez, F.R.; Ojeda, C.B.Analytical Determination of Furosemide The Last Researches. Int. J. Pharma Bio Sci. 2013, 3(4), 168-181.
4. Dinc, E.; Ustundag, O. Spectrophotometric Quantitative Resolution of Hydrochlorothiazide and Spironolactone in Tablets by Chemo metric Analysis Methods. Farmaco. 2003, 58, 1151-1161.
5. Kher, G.; Ram, V.; Kher, M.; Joshi, H. Development and Validation of a HPTLC Method for Simultaneous Determination of Furosemide and Spironolactone in Its Tablet Formulation. Res. J. Pharm. Biol. Chem. Sci. 2013, 4(1), 365-377.
6. Hassouna, E.M.; Issa, Y.M.; Zayed, A.G. Spectrophotometric Determination of Furosemide Drug in Different Formulations using Schiff’s Bases. Forensic research & criminology international journal2015, 1(6), 1-10.
7. Gahandule, M.; Banerjee, S.K. Development of UV spectrophotometric methods and validation for estimation of furosemide in bulk and tablet dosage form by absorbance maxima and Area under the Curve method. Int. J. Adv. Pharmaceutics2016, 5(6), 160-170.
8. Naveed, S.; Qamar, F.; Zainab, S. Simple UV spectrophotometric assay of Furosemide J. Innovations Pharm. Biol. Sci. 2014, 1, 97-101.
9. Ferraro, M.C.; Castellano P.M.; Kaufman T.S. A Spectrophotometric-Partial Least Squares (PLS-1) Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Furosemide and Amiloride Hydrochloride in Pharmaceutical Formulations. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2001, 26(3), 443-451.
10. Luis, M.L.; Garcia, J.M.; Jimenez, F. Simultaneous Estimation of Chlorthalidone and Spironolactone with Univariate and Multivariate Calibration, Wavelength Range Selection. J. AOAC Int. 1999, 82(5), 1054-1063.
11. Vadalia, K.R.; Chaudhary, A.; Thummer, P. Ratio Derivative Spectrophotometric Method for the Simultaneous Estimation of Metolazone (METO) and Spironolactone. IJPSR. 2012, 3(10), 3999-4003.
12. Maha, A.; Abdelkawy, M.; Nada, S. Stability Indicating Chromatographic Method for Determination of Hydrochlorothiazide and Spironolactone in Pharmaceutical Formulation in Presence of Impurities and Degradants. J.Chromatogr. Sci.2011, 49, 129-35.
13. Golher, H.K.; Kapse, K.; Singh, S.K. Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Estimation of Torsemide and Spironolactone in Tablet Dosage Form. Int. J. Pharmtech Res. 2010, 2 (4), 2246-2250.
14. Millership, J.S. Ratio Spectra Derivative Spectrophotometry for the Determination of Furosemide and Spironolactone in a Capsule Formulation. Farmaco. 2005, 60, 333-338.
15. Parimoo, P.; Bharathi, A.; Padma, K. Simultaneous Determination of Spironolactone with Hydroflumethiazide and Spironolactone with Frusemide in Combination formulations by UV-Absorption Method. Indian J. Pharm. Sci. 1995, 57(3), 126-129.
16. Patel, H.; Solanki, S. Development and Validation of Spectrophotometric Methods for Simultaneous Estimation of Furosemide and Spironolactone in Combined Tablet Dosage Form. Int. J. Pharm. Pharm. Sci. 2012, 4, 383-386.
17. Reddy, A.S.S.V.; Ahmed, M.R.; Shetty, S.A. Simultaneous Determination and Validation of Spironolactone and Furosemide by Second Order Derivative Method and Area under Curve Method in Bulk Drug and Pharmaceutical Formulations. Int. J. Chemtech Res.2013, 5, 1876-1885.
18. Karim, M.M.; Israt, S.S.; Uddin, M.N.; Jahan, R.A. Simultaneous determination of furosemide and spironolactone in pharmaceutical formulations by spectrophotometric method using principal component regression. Bangladesh J. Scientific Ind. Res. 2016, 51(4), 297-306.
19. Vadloori, C.; Tallada, V. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Spironolactone and Frusemide in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. J. Pharm. Res. 2012, 5(8), 3998-4000.
20. ICH. Validation of analytical procedures: methodology. Adopted in 1996. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Harmonization. Geneva. Switzerland. 2005.
21. Dange, Y.D.; Salunkhe, V.R.; Bhinge, S.D.; Bhutkar, B.R.; Momin, Y.H. Simultaneous equation method for the estimation of palbociclib and letrozole by uv-visible Spectrophotometry. Indian Drugs2017, 54(09), 61-66.
22. Dange, YD., Honmane, SM., Bhinge, SD., Salunkhe, VR., Jadge, D. Development and Validation of UV-Spectrophotometric Method for Estimation of Metformin in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Form. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research2018, 52 (1): 546-525.
23. Bhinge, S.D.; Malipatil, S.M.; Jondhale, A.; Hirave, R.; Savali, A.S. A new approach to the RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of atorvastatin calcium and fenofibrate in pharmaceutical dosage forms. E. J. Chem. 2012, 9(3), 1223-1229.
24. Bhinge, S.D.; Malipatil, S.M.; Sonawane, L.V.; Chittapurkar, H.R. Simultaneous Estimation of Cefixime and Dicloxacillin in Bulk and Tablet Formulation by RP-HPLC Method. FABAD J. Pharm. Sci. 2012, 37, 63-71.
25. Bhinge, S.D.; Malipatil, S.M.; Sonawane, L.V. Simultaneous estimation of cefixime and Dicloxacillin in human plasma by reversed phase-HPLC with UV detection. Thai J. Pharm. Sci. 2012, 36, 63-67.