The conditions for the gel growth of barium oxalate single crystals in silica gels were studied in this paper. We describe the growth mechanism, effect concentration of feed solution, interchanging of the reactants, the effect of temperature and detailed study of microstructures of barium oxalate single crystals. At higher concentration of feed solution dense fibers were observed. With interchanged feed solution precipitate and spherulites have been obtained. The effect of temperature on growth barium oxalate crystals showed that there was a decrease in nucleation density at higher temperature. The crystals growth were observed under the electron microscope which revealed that the crystal have needle and spherulites structures. We also report the FTIR studies of barium oxalate crystals.
1. Raghavan, P.S.; Ramasamy, P. Crystal Growth Process and Methods; KRU publication, Kumbakonam, India, 2000.
2. Ronda, C.R.; Jüstel, T.; Nikol, J. Rare Earth Phosphors: Fundamentals and Application, J. Alloys. Comp.1998, 275-277, 669-676.
3. Basharat, W.; Feroz, D. Growth and Characterization of Holmium Oxalate Heptahydrate Crystals. J. Cryst. Proc. Tech.2012, 2, 137-141.
4. Vanhoyland, G.; Bouree, F.; Van Bael, M.K.; Mullens, J.; L.C. Van Poucke. Structural determination of refinement of acid strontium oxalate from X ray and neutron powder diffraction. J. Solid Chem. State2001, 157, 283-288.
5. Daniel J., Price; Annie K., Powell; Paul T., Wood. Hydrothermal crystallization and X-ray structure of anhydrous strontium oxalate, Polyhedron1999, 18, 2499-2503.
6. Vos, A.; Mullens, J.; Carleer, R.; Yperman, J. and Poucke, L. C. Van., Vos A., De Backer A., Franco D., Yperman J. and Van Poucke L. C., “The use of thermal analysis for the study of the calcinations process of oxalate precursors for the synthesis of high-Tc superconductors” Bull. Soc. Chim. Belg.1992, 101(3), 187-192.
7. Mullens, J.; Vos, A.; Backer, A. De; Franco, D.; Yperman, J. and Poucke, L. C. Van. “The decomposition of the oxalate precursor and the stability and reduction of the YBa2Cu4O8 superconductor studied by TG coupled with FTIR and by XRD, J. Therm. Anal.1993, 40(1), 303-311.
8. Ahmad, T.; Ramanujachary, K.V.; Lofland, S.E. and Ganguli, A.K. “Nanorods of manganese oxalate: a single source precursor to different manganese oxide nanoparticles (MnO, Mn2O3, Mn3O4)” J. Mater. Chem.2004, 14, 3406-3410.
9. Ajithkumar, G.; Gupta, P.; Jose, K. Gin and Unnikrishnan, N.V. Judd–Ofelt intensity parameters and laser analysis of Pr3+ doped phosphate glasses sensitized by Mn2+ ions, J. Non-Cryst. Solids2000, 275(1–2), 93-106.
10. Minu, M.C.; Vimal, G.; Mani, K. P.; Gijo, J.; Biju, P.R.; Unnikrishnan, J.; Cyriac, N.V.; Ittyachen, M.A. Growth and characterization of Sm3+ doped ceriumoxalate single crystals. J. Mater. Res. Technol.2016, 5(3), 268-274.
11. Jananakumar, D.; Mani, P. Synthesis, growth and characterization of novel semiorganic nonlinear optical potassium boro-oxalate (KBO) single crystals. Mat. Phys. Mech.2013, 16, 92-100.
12. Arumugam, D.; Krishnan, A. Growth and study of cadmium tartrate oxalate single crystals by sol-gel Technique. Dig. J. Nanomater. Biostruct.2013, 8(4), 1835–1843.
13. Dalal, P.V. Nucleation Controlled Growth of Cadmium Oxalate Crystals in Agar Gel and Their Characterization. Ind. J. Mater. Sci.2013, 682950.
14. Shedam, M.R.; Rakesh M. S.; Shridhar N.M. Microstructures of CdC2O4.3H2O single crystal grown in silica gel. J. Nano-Electron Phys.,2016,8(4), 04075.
15. Shedam, M.R.; Venkateswara, A.R. Effect of temperature on nucleation and growth of cadmium oxalate single crystals in silica gels. Mater. Chem. Phys.1998, 52, 263-266.
16. Moses Ezhil Raj, A.; Deva Jayanthi, D.; Bena Jothy, V.; Jayachandran, M.; Sanjeeviraja, C. Growth aspects of barium oxalate monohydrate single crystals in gel medium, Cryst. Res. Technol.2008, 43(12), 1307–1313.
17. Patil, S.N.; Venkateswara, Rao A. Growth of Single Crystals of Calcium Sulfite in Silica Gels. Cryst. Res. Technol.1991, 26(7), 841–846.
18. Patel, A.R.; Venkateswara Rao, A. Crystal growth in gel media. Bull. Mat. Sci.1982, 4, 527–548.
19. Phillipson, K. Ageing and Crystallisation of Polycaprolactone; PhD Thesis, School of Metallurgy & Materials, College of Engineering & Physical Sciences, University of Birmingham, October 2014.
20. Sharma, P.; Virk, H.S. Fabrication of Nanoparticles of Barium Carbonate/Oxalate Using Reverse Micelle Technique, Open Surf. Sci. J. 2009, 1, 34-39.
21. Joseph, C.; Ittyachen, M.A.; Raju, K.S. Some structural aspects of neodymium praseodymium oxalate single crystals grown in hydro silica gel. Bull. Mater. Sci.1997, 20, 37–48.