A buckling analysis of temperature-dependent embedded plates reinforced by single-walled carbon nanotubes (SWCNTs) subjected to a magnetic field is investigated. The SWCNTs are distributed as uniform (UD) and three types of functionally graded nanotubes (FG), in which the material properties of the nano-composite plate are estimated based on the mixture rule. The surrounding temperature-dependent elastic medium is simulated as Pasternak foundation. Based on the orthotropic Mindlin plate theory, the governing equations are derived using Hamilton's principle. The buckling load of the structure is calculated based on an exact solution by the Navier method. The influences of elastic medium, magnetic field, temperature and distribution type, and volume fractions of SWCNT are shown on the buckling of the plate. Results indicate that CNT distribution close to the top and bottom are more efficient than that distributed near the mid-plane for increasing the stiffness of the plates.
1. G.M. Odegard, T.S. Gates, K.E. Wise, C. Park, E.J. Siochi, “Constitutive modeling of nanotube-reinforced polymer composites”, Composite Science and Technology 63:1671-87, 2003.
2. G.D. Seidel, D.C. Lagoudas, “Micromechanical analysis of the effective elastic properties of carbon nanotube reinforced composites”, Mechnics of Materials 38:884-907, 2006.
3. J.D. Fidelus, E. Wiesel, F.H. Gojny, K. Schulte, H.D. Wagner, “Thermo-mechanical properties of randomly oriented carbon/epoxy nanocomposites”, Composites: Part A 36:1555-61, 2005.
4. Y. Han, J. Elliott, “Molecular dynamics simulations of the elastic properties of polymer/carbon nanotube composites”, Computational Material Science 39:315-23, 2007.
5. R. Zhu, E. Pan, A.K. Roy, “Molecular dynamics study of the stress-strain behaviour of carbon-nanotube reinforced Epon 862 composites”, Material Science Engineering A 447:51-7, 2007.
6. L.L. Ke, J. Yang, S. Kitipornchai, “Nonlinear free vibration of functionally graded carbon nanotube-reinforced composite beams”, Composite Structures 92:676-83, 2010.
7. Shen HS, Zhang CL. “Thermal buckling and postbuckling behavior of functionally graded carbon nanotubereinforced composite plates”, Mater Des 2010;31:3403-11.
8. Z.X. Wang, H.S. Shen, “Nonlinear vibration of nanotube-reinforced composite plates in thermal environments”, Composite Structures 50:2319-2330, 2011.
9. A. Ghorbanpour Arani, S. Maghamikia, M. Mohammadimehr, A. Arefmanesh, “Buckling analysis of laminated composite rectangular plates reinforced by SWCNTs using analytical and finite element methods”, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 25: 809-820, 2011.
10. P. Zhu, Z.X. Lei, K.M. Liew, “Static and free vibration analyses of carbon nanotubereinforced composite plates using finite element method with first order shear deformation plate theory”, Composite Structures 94:1450-60, 2012.
11. M.H. Yas, M. Heshmati, “Dynamic analysis of functionally graded nanocomposite beams reinforced by randomly oriented carbon nanotube under the action of moving load”, Applied Mathematical Modeling 36:1371-1394, 2012.
12. A. Ghorbanpour Arani, M. Jamali, M. Mosayyebi, R. Kolahchi, “Analytical modeling of wave propagation in viscoelastic functionally graded carbon nanotubes reinforced piezoelectric microplate under electro-magnetic field”, Proc IMechE Part N: J Nanoengineering and Nanosystems, In press.
13. A. Ghorbanpour Arani, R. Kolahchi, H. Vossough, “Buckling analysis and smart control of SLGS using elastically coupled PVDF nanoplate based on the nonlocal Mindlin plate theory”, Physica B 407:4458-4465,2012.
14. R. Kolahchi, M. Rabani Bidgoli, Gh. Beygipoor, M.H. Fakhar, “A nonlocal nonlinear analysis for buckling in embedded FG-SWCNT-reinforced microplates subjected to magnetic field”, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 29:3669~3677, 2015.
15. R. Kolahchi, A.M. Moniribidgoli, “Size-dependent sinusoidal beam model for dynamic instability of singlewalled carbon nanotubes, Appllied Mathematics and Mechanics 37, 265-274, 2016.
16. Sh. Hui-Shen, “Nonlinear bending of functionally graded carbon nanotube-reinforced composite plates in thermal environments”, Composite Structures 91:9-19, 2009.