The road pollutant emissions, above all in urban context, are correlated to many infrastructural parameters and to traffic intensity and typology. The research work on road junction geometry, carried out in European research centres, has recently allowed to design new road intersection types which are of undoubted interest, especially in terms of traffic functionality and safety, like the flower roundabouts (in which right-turn manoeuvres do not conflict with the circulating flow). The main objective of this paper is to propose a model for the estimation the capacity, delay, levels of service and the pollutant emissions into flower roundabouts. A comparative analysis between conventional roundabout and flower roundabout has been carried out in terms of CO, CO2, CH4, NO, PM2,5 and PM10 vehicular emissions, evaluated by mean of COPERT Software which is developed as a European tool for the calculation of emissions from the road transport sector.
1. T. Tollazzi, M. Rencelj, S. Turnsek, Slovenian experiences with alternative types of roundabouts - “turbo” and “flower” roundabouts, 8th International Conference May 19-20, 2011, Vilnius, Lithuania, ISBN 978-9955-28-829-9 (3 Volume).
2. T. Tollazzi, M. Rencelj, S. Turnsek, New Type of Roundabout: Roundabout with “Depressed” Lanes for Right Turning - “Flower Roundabout”, Promet - Traffic&Transportation, Vol. 23, 2011, No. 5, 353-358.
3. T. Tollazzi, M. Rencelj, S. Turnsek, G. Jovanovic, Krožno križišce s pritisnjenimi pasovi za desno zavijanje: patentna prijava št. P-201000026, 28.01.2010. Ljubljana: Urad RS za intelektualno lastnino, 2010.
4. R. Mauro, M. Cattani, Model to evaluate potential accident rate at roundabouts, Journal of Transportation Engineering, Volume 130, Issue 5, September 2004, Pages 602-609. ISSN: 0733947X, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)0733-947X(2004)130:5(602).
5. M. Guerrieri, D. Ticali, F. Corriere, F. Galatioto F, Flower roundabouts: estimation of capacity and level of service, GSTF Journal on Computing (JoC), June 2012, Vol. 2, n. 2, Print ISSN: 2010-2283, E-periodical: 2251-3043 (pag. 101-106) - doi: 10.5176/2010-2283_2.2.175.
6. R. Mauro, F. Branco, Comparative Analysis of Compact Multilane Roundabouts and Turbo- Roundabouts, Journal of Transportation Engineering, 136(4), Pages 316-322. ISSN: 0733947X, doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000106.
7. R. Mauro, M. Cattani, M. Guerrieri, Potential accident rate of turbo-roundabouts, The Baltic Journal of Road and Bridge Engineering, ISSN 1822-427X print, ISSN 1822 (in press).
8. F. Corriere, M. Guerrieri, Performance analysis of basic turbo-roundabout in urban context. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, Volume 53, 3 October 2012, Pages 622-632, Elsevier, ISSN: 1877-0428. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.09.912.
10. R. Akcelik, Roundabout model calibration issue and a case study, TRB National roundabout conference, USA, 22-25 May 2005.
11. R. Mauro, M. Guerrieri, Right-turn bypass lanes at roundabouts: geometric schemes and functional analysis. Modern Applied Science, ISSN 1913-1844 (Print) ISSN 1913-1852 (Online), Canadian Center of Science and Education, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 1-12, doi:10.5539/mas.v7n1p1.
12. “Roundabouts: An Informational Guide - Second Edition” ( NCHRP REPORT 672), TRB, 2010.
13. M. Tracz, Analysis of Small Roundabouts’ Capacity, 2008 National roundabout conference, Kansas City, Missouri.
14. M. Tracz, J. Chodur, K. Ostrowsk, Roundabouts Country report -Poland, 6th International Symposium on Highway Capacity and Quality of Service, Stockholm, June 2011.
15. M. Tracz, S. Gaca, Recent developments in highway geometric design in the reconstruction of the polish road network - country report, 4th International Symposium on Highway Geometric Design, June 2nd-5th 2010 Valencia, Spain.
16. R. Mauro, Calculation of roundabout, Berlin-Heidelberg: Springer, 2010, 169 p. - (engineering). - ISBN: 978-3-642-04551-6 online. - DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-04551-6.
17. W. Brilon, B. Stuwe, O. Drews, Sicherheit und Leistungsfähigkeit von Kreisverkehrsplätzen, Institute for Traffic Engineering, Ruhr Universität, Bochum, Deutschland, 1993.
18. R. Mauro, M. Guerrieri. Flower roundabouts: performances analysis and comparison with conventional layouts. European Journal of Scientific Research, ISSN: 1450-216X/1450-202X , Volume 94 Issue 2, January 2013, pp. 242-252, EuroJournals Publishing, Inc. 2012.
19. F. Corriere, D. Di Vincenzo, M. Guerrieri. A logic fuzzy model for evaluation of the railway station’s practice capacity in safety operating conditions. Archivers of Civil Engineering, ISSN: 1230-2945, LIX, 1, 2013, pp.3-19.
20. M. Guerrieri, D. Ticali. Sustainable mobility in park areas: the potential offered by guided transport systems. International Conference on Sustainable Design and Construction, March 23-25, 2011, Kansas City, Missouri, ASCE (2012). Vol. ICSDC 2011: Integrating Sustainability Practices in the Construction Industry- pp. 661-668, ISBN 9780784412046, ASCE Conf. Proc. doi:10.1061/41204(426)81.
21. D. Gkatzoflias, C. Kouridis, L. Ntziachristos, Description of new elements in COPERT 4 v9.0, EMISIA SA Report, No: 11.RE.005.V1.
22. F. Corriere, G. Peri, V. La Rocca, Characterization of Biodiesel from Vegetable Oil Using Comprehensive Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography, Applied Mechanics and Materials Vols. 260-261 (2013) pp 312-317, ISSN: 1662-7482, doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.260-261.312.
23. F. Corriere, G. Peri, V. La Rocca, G. Rizzo, Environmental Implications of Traffic Flow Delays: a Model for Urban Streets, Applied Mechanics and Materials Vols. 260-261 (2013) pp 1167-1172, ISSN: 1662-7482, doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.260-261.1167.
24. R. Mauro, M. Cattani, Functional and Economic Evaluations for Choosing Road Intersection Layout. Promet-Traffic&Transportation, Vol 24, No 5. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7307/ptt.v24i5.1180.