This paper compares numerical solutions of transient two-dimensional unsaturated flow equation by using different averaging schemes for internodal conductivities. Averaging methods such as arithmetic mean, geometric mean, upstream weighting, and integrated mean are taken into account, as well as a recent approach based on steady-state approximation. The latter method proved the most flexible, producing relatively accurate solutions for both downward and upward flow cases.
1. D.L. Baker, Darcian weighted interblock conductivity means for vertical unsaturated flow, Ground Water, 33, 385-390, 1995.
2. D.L. Baker, A Darcian integral approximation to interblock hydraulic conductivity means in vertical infiltration, Computers and Geosciences, 26, 581-590, 2000.
3. D.L. Baker, General validity of conductivity means in unsaturated flow, ASCE Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 11, 526-538, 2006.
4. D.L. Baker, M.E. Arnold, H.D. Scott, Some analytic and approximate Darcian means, Ground Water, 37, 532-538, 1999.
5. B. Belfort, F. Lehmann, Comparison of equivalent conductivities for numerical simulation of onedimensional unsaturated flow, Vadose Zone Journal, 4, 1191-1200, 2005.
6. M.A. Celia, E.T. Bouloutas, R.L. Zarba, A general mass-conservative numerical solution for the unsaturated flow equation, Water Resources Research, 26, 1483-1496, 1990.
7. P.A. Forsyth, Y.S. Wu, K. Pruess, Robust numerical methods for saturated-unsaturated flow with dry initial conditions in heterogeneous media, Advances in Water Resources, 18, 25-38, 1995.
8. J.M. Gastó, J. Griffol, Y. Cohen, Estimation of internodal permeabilities for numerical simulation of unsaturated flows, Water Resources Research, 38, doi:10.1029/2002WR001529, 2002.
9. R. Haverkamp, M. Vauclin, A note on estimating finite difference interblock hydraulic conductivity values for transient unsaturated flow problems, Water Resources Research, 15, 181-187, 1979.
10. R. Helmig, R. Huber, Comparison of Galerkin-type discretization techniques for two-phase flow in heterogeneous porous media, Advances in Water Resources, 21, 697-711, 1996.
11. C.T. Miller, G.A. Williams, C.T. Kelley, M.D. Tocci, Robust solution of Richards’ equation for nonuniform porous media, Water Resources Research, 34, 2599-2610, 1998.
12. A. Szymkiewicz, Approximation of internodal conductivities in numerical simulation of 1D infiltration, drainage and capillary rise in unsaturated soils, Water Resources Research, 45, doi:10.1029/2008WR007654, 2009.
13. A.W. Warrick, Numerical approximation of Darcian flow through unsaturated soil, Water Resources Research 27, 1215-1222, 1991.
14. H. Zaradny, Mathematical methods for description and solutions of water flow problems in saturated and unsaturated grounds and soils. [In Polish], Prace Instytutu Budownictwa Wodnego PAN, nr 23, 1990.