Background: Single lung Fontan procedure has been performed in patients with a congenital heart disease and a single functional lung. The procedure has not been reported in China.
Objective and Methods: We reported on the case of a 6-year-old child who had a single functional right ventricle, and an atretic left pulmonary artery, who underwent a successful Fontan operation into the single right pulmonary artery. The literature of Fontan procedure in the presence of a single lung is reviewed.
Results: The patient to relate the procedure well and had uneventful recovery. The patient has been followed up for more than two years with reasonable hemodynamics.
Conclusion: The single lung Fontan operation is possible with good outcomes. More patients and longer follow up will be required to standardize the strategies and to document utility of this procedure.
1. Mayer JJ, Helgason H, Jonas RA, Lang P, Vargas FJ, Cook N, et al. Extending the limits for modified Fontan procedures. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1986; 92: 1021-8.
2. Mayer JJ, Bridges ND, Lock JE, Hanley FL, Jonas RA, Castaneda AR. Factors associated with marked reduction in mortality for Fontan operations in patients with single ventricle. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1992; 103:444-52.
3. Gentles TL, Mayer JJ. Fontan operation in five hundred consecutive patients: factors influencing early and late outcome. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1997; 114:376-91.
4. Sade RM, Gillette PC. Fontan operation in a case of single functional pulmonary artery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1989; 98:153-4.
5. Jacobs ML, Schneider DJ, Pourmoghadam KK, Pizarro C, Norwood WI. Total cavopulmonary connection to one lung. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu. 2004; 7:72-9.
6. Al-Khaldi A, Chedrawy EG, Tchervenkov CI, Shum- Tim D. Successful single-lung fontan operation in an adult: 5-year follow-up. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005; 79: 1042-4.
8. Ishibashi N, Koide M, Uchita S, Seguchi M. When should pulmonary artery angioplasty be performed for Fontan candidates with pulmonary coarctation? Two cases of pulmonary artery angioplasty with the Blalock-Taussig shunt on pump in neonates. Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004; 52:185-8.
9. Schmauss D, Kaczmarek I, Sachweh J, Kozlik- Feldmann R, Sodian R, Deutsch MA, et al. Successful single lung fontan operation in 2 children: case reports. Heart Surg Forum. 2007; 10:E331-3.
10. Tchervenkov CI, Chedrawy EG, Korkola SJ. Fontan operation for patients with severe distal pulmonary artery stenosis, atresia, or a single lung. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu. 2002; 5: 68-75.