Background: Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) known to be sensitive to mechanical stimulus. This type of stimulus plays a role in cellular differentiation, so that it might affect MSCs differentiation toward cardiomyocytes.
Objectives: Investigate the effect of mechanical stimulus on MSCs differentiation toward cardiomyocytes.
Methods: The adipose tissue-derived MSCs were induced to differentiate with 5-azacytidine, and stimulated by one Hz mechanical stretching up to 8%. After 10 days, the cell’s cardiac markers and cardiogenesis-related genes were detected by immumohistochemistrical staining and reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction, and the cell’s ATPase activity was detected.
Results: The cyclic mechanical stretching enhanced the expression of cardiogenesis-related genes and cardiac markers, and stimulated the activity of Na+-K+-ATPase and Ca2+-ATPase in the MSCs treated with 5-azacytidine. Without 5-azacytidine pre-treatment, cyclic mechanical stretch alone has little effect.
Conclusion: Mechanical stretch combined with 5-azacytidine treatment could accelerate MSCs differentiation toward cardiomyocytes.
1. Tholpady SS, Katz AJ, Ogle RC. Mesenchymal stem cells from rat visceral fat exhibit multipotential differentiation in vitro. Anat Rec. 2003; 272A:398-402.
2. De Ugarte DA, Morizono K, Elbarbary A, Alfonso Z, Zuk PA, Zhu M, et al. Comparison of multi-lineage cells from human adipose tissue and bone marrow. Cells Tissues Organs. 2003; 174:101-9.
3. Gaustad KG, Boquest AC, Anderson BE, Gerdes AM, Collas P. Differentiation of human adipose tissue stem cells using extracts of rat cardiomyocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Comm. 2004; 314:420-7.
4. Planat-Bnard V, Menard C, Andr M, Puceat M, Perez A, Garcia-Verdugo JM, et al. Spontaneous cardiomyocyte differentiation from adipose tissue stroma cells. Circ Res. 2004; 94:223-9.
5. Yamada Y, Wang XD, Yokoyama S, Fukuda N, Takakura N. Cardiac progenitor cells in brown adipose tissue repaired damaged myocardium. Biochem Biophys Res Comm. 2006; 342:662-70.
6. Fraser JK, Wulur I, Alfonso Z, Hedrick MH. Fat tissue: an underappreciated source of stem cells for biotechnology. Trend Biotechnol. 2006; 24:150-4.
7. Friedl G., Schmidt H, Rehak I, Kostner G, Schauenstein K, Windhager R. Undifferentiated human mesenchymal stem cells (hMSCS) are highly sensitive to mechanical strain: transcriptionally controlled early osteo-chondrogenic response in vitro. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2007; 15:1293-300.
8. Sadoshima J, Jahn L, Takahashi T, Kulik TJ, Izumo S. Molecular characterization of the stretch-induced adaptation of cultured cardiac cells. An in vitro model of load-induced cardiac hypertrophy. J Biol Chem. 1992; 267:10551-60.
9. Komuro I, Kaida T, Shibazaki Y, Kurabayashi M, Katoh Y, Hoh E, et al. Stretching cardiac myocytes stimulates protooncogene expression. J Biol Chem. 1990; 265:3595-8.
10. Ruwhof C, van der Laarse A. Mechanical stressinduced cardiac hypertrophy: mechanisms and signal transduction pathways. Cardiovasc Res. 2000; 47:23-37.
11. Gimble J, Guilak F. Adipose-derived adult stem cells: isolation, characterization, and differentiation potential. Cytotherapy. 2003; 5:362-9.
12. Lee AA, Delhaas T, Waldman LK, MacKenna DA, Villarreal FJ, McCulloch AD. An equibiaxial strain system for cultured cells. Am J Physiol. 1996; 271: C1400-8.
13. Luu Y, Capilla E, Rosen C, Gilsanz V, Pessin J, Judex S, Rubin CT. Mechanical stimulation of mesenchymal stem cell proliferation and differentiation promotes osteogenesis while preventing dietary induced obesity. J Bone Miner Res. 2009; 24:50-61.
14. Qi MC, Hu J, Zou SJ, Chen HQ, Zhou HX, Han LC. Mechanical strain induces osteogenic differentiation: Cbfa1 and Ets-1 expression in stretched rat mesenchymal stem cells. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008, 37:453-8.
15. Huanga CC, Hagar KL, Frost LE, Sun Y, Cheung HS. Effects of cyclic compressive loading on chondrogenesis of rabbit bone-marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells. Stem Cells. 2004; 22:313-23.
16. Campbell JJ, Lee DA, Bader DL. Dynamic compressive strain influences chondrogenic gene expression in human mesenchymal stem cells. Biorheol. 2006; 43: 455-70.
17. Altman G., Horan R,Martin I, Farhadi J, Stark P, Volloch V, Vunjak-novakovic G, Richmond J, Kaplan DL. Cell differentiation by mechanical stress. FASEB. 2002, 16:270-2.
18. Liao SW. Hida K, Park JS, Li S. Mechanical regulation of matrix reorganization and phenotype of smooth muscle cells and mesenchymal stem cells in 3D matrix. Proc Conf IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2004; 2:5024-7.
19. Park JS, Chu JS. Cheng C, Chen F, Chen D, Li S. Differential effects of equiaxial and uniaxial strain on mesenchymal stem cells. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2004, 88: 359-68.
20. Rangappa S, Wechsler AS, Kresh J. Cyclic stretch of adult human mesenchymal stem cells induces expression of early cardiac and neuronal genes (abstract). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004; 3:177A.
21. Makino S, Fukuda K, Miyoshi S, Konishi F, Kodama H, Pan J, et al. Cardiomyocytes can be generated from marrow stromal cells in vitro. J Clin Invest. 1999; 103:697-705.
22. Sunil R, Chen F, Lee EH, Ariff BE, Sim KW. Transformation of adult mesenchymal stem cells isolated from the fatty tissue in to cardiomyocytes. Ann Thorac Surg. 2003; 75:775-9.