Background: Sanitation and educational programmes as tactics of the biorational control programme to affect bait performance against German cockroaches have been reported, but these are limited to discussion on the effect of these factors alone. Objective: Investigate the effectiveness of sanitation and related factors on German cockroaches (Blattella germanica) in Iran. Methods: Sticky traps were used to monitor cockroach infestations at three residential buildings comprising of 150 apartment units in the southwest part of Iran. Educational programmes using pamphlets, posters, and lectures to describe the importance of sanitation, exclusion, and low toxic control in biorational control approach was performed in the intervention groups of the surveyed residential buildings. The cockroach index and sanitation rate tables were tools to evaluate the infestation and sanitation. A questionnaire was distributed to collect information on unsanitary factors and occupants’ attitudes towards sanitation. Results: There was a significant correlation between infestation and poor sanitation. Furthermore, there was significant correlation between infestation and sanitation in a biorational system. The effectiveness of a comprehensive educational program on the improvement of unsanitary factors such as “dirty and cluttered”, “unwashed dishes left at night” and “leftover foods exposed at places” or “food debris” was significant as it reduced upon cockroach infestation. Other relevant effects were also taken into consideration. Conclusion: Sanitation has positive impact in reduction of German cockroach infestation.
1. Goddard J. Physician’s guide to arthropods of medical importance. Boca Raton:CRC Press, 2003. p. 444.
2. Wang C, Abdul El-Nour M, Bennett GW. Survey of pest infestation, asthma, and allergy in low income housing. J Community Health. 2008; 33:31-9.
3. Whyatt RM, Camann DE, Kinney PL, Reyes A, Ramirez J, Dietrich J, et al. Residential pesticide use during pregnancy among a cohort of urban minority women. Environm Health Perspect. 2002; 110:79-84.
4. Baumholtz MA, Parish LC, Witkowski JA, Nutting WB. The medical importance of cockroaches. Int J Dermatol. 2008; 36:90-6.
5. Saichua P, Pinmai K, Somrithipol S, Tor-Udom S. Isolation of medically important fungi from cockroaches trapped at Thammasat Chalermprakiat Hospital. Thammasat Med J. 2008; 8:345-51.
6. Fathpour H, Emtiazi G, Ghasemi E. Cockroaches as reservoirs and vectors of drug resistant Salmonella spp. Iran Biomed J. 2003; 7:35-8.
7. Tatfeng YM, Usuanlel MU, Orukpe A, Digban AK, Okodua M, Oviasogie F, et al. Mechanical transmission of pathogenic organisms: the role of cockroaches. J Vect Born Dis 2005; 42:129-34.
8. Pai HH, Chen WC, Peng CF. Cockroaches as potential vectors of nosocomial infections. Infect Control Hospital Epidemiol. 2004; 25:979-84.
9. Pai HH, Chen WC, Peng CF. Isolation of bacteria with antibiotic resistance from household cockroaches (Periplaneta americana and Blattella germanica). Acta Tropica. 2005; 93:259-65.
10. Devi SJN, Murray CJ. Cockroaches (Blatta and Periplaneta species) as reservoirs of drug-resistant salmonellas. Epidemiol Infect. 1991; 107:357-61.
11. Nalyanya G, Gore GH, Linker HM, Schal C. German Cockroach allergen levels in North Carolina Schools: comparison of integrated pest management and conventional Cockroach control. J Med Entomol. 2009; 46:420-7.
12. Sarinho E, Schor D, Veloso MA, Rizzo JA. There are more asthmatics in homes with high cockroach infestation. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2004; 37:503-10.
13. Lee CY. Medical importance of domiciliary cockroaches. Singap Microbiologist. 1997; 11:14-17.
14. Faith MO, Arthur GA, Eric PB. 1997 4 April. IPM Tactics for Cockroach Control. Available from: http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1016/. Accessed 4 April 2006.
15. Bonnefoy X, Kampen H, Sweeney K. Public health significance of urban pests. Copenhagen:WHO Europe, 2008. p. 569
16. Stephan RE. Factors influencing the movement German cockroaches [Dissertation]. Purdue Purdue University; 1984. p. 85.
17. Christensen C. Cockroach baits. Pest Control Technol. 1991; 19:45-51.
18. Noureldin EM, Farrag HA. The role of sanitation in the control of German cockroach (Blattella germanica L.). Biosci Biotechn Res Asia. 2008; 5:525-36.
19. Lee CY, Lee LC. Diversity of cockroach species and effect of sanitation on level of cockroach infestation in residential premises. Trop Biomed. 2000; 17:39-43.
20. Lee CY, Heng CY. Effects of food and water deprivation on nymphal development, adult fecundity and insecticide susceptibility in German cockroaches, Blattella germanica (L.). Trop Biomed. 2000; 17:27-34.
21. Schal C. Relation among efficacy of insecticides, resistance levels, and sanitation in the control of the German cockroach (Dictyoptera: Blattellidae). J Econom Entomol. 1988; 81:536-44.
22. McConnell R, Milam J, Richardson J, Galvan J, Jones C, Thorne P, et al. Educational intervention to control cockroach allergen exposure in the homes of hispanic children in Los Angeles: results of the La Casa study. Clin Exper Allergy. 2005; 35:426-33.
23. Wang C, Bennett GW. Comparative study of integrated Pest management and baiting for German cockroach management in public housing. J Econom Entomol. 2006; 99:879-85.
24. Ishaaya I, Horowitz RA, Horowitz AR. Biorational control of arthropod Pests: application and resistance management. New York:Springer, 2009. p. 408.
25. Lucas JR, Invest JF. Factors involved in the successful use of hydramethylnon baits in household and industrial pest control. In: Wildey KB, Robinson WH, editors. First International Conference on Insect Pests in the Urban Environment. Cambridge:BPCC Wheatons Exeter, 1993. p. 99-106.
26. Greene A, Breisch NL. Measuring integrated pest management programs for public buildings. J Econom Entomol. 2002; 95:1-13.
27. Brenner BL, Markowitz S, Rivera M, Romero H, Weeks M, Sanchez E, et al. Integrated Pest management in an urban community: a successful partnership for prevention. Environm Health Perspect. 2003; 111: 1647-53.
28. Lee CY, Lee LC. Influence of sanitary conditions on the field performance of chlorpyrifos-based baits against American cockroaches, Periplaneta americana (L.) (Dictyoptera: Blattidae). J Vector Ecology. 2000; 25:218-21.
29. Kaakeh W, Bennett GW. Evaluation of trapping and vacuuming compared with low-impact insecticide tactics for managing German cockroaches in residences. J Econom Entomol. 1997; 90:976-82.